Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:32 pm 
Which should I take. the 17-85 is a bit more expensive (100 Euros). But the 28-135 has a longer focal range.

Which of these above mentioned lenses produces a higher quality pictures?
I also like a high zoom ratio. The IS is very important to me. Overall which do you recommend.

Do you recommend another LENS for that same price range?

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

You haven't said what kind of photos you like taking.

The 17-85mm goes much wider than the 28-135 - remember if you're mounting them on something like an EOS 400D, you'll effectively be multiplying their focal lengths by 1.6 times.

So if you want genuine wide angle coverage, get the 17-85mm. If you're not bothered about wide angle, but would value being able to zoom-in a bit more, then go for the 28-135mm.

Both models have IS, although some older 28-135's may not.

I haven't tested the 28-135mm, so can't comment on its quality.

If you're after a good general purpose lens for the Canon bodies, I think it's had to beat the 17-85mm. Our full review is here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Hope that helps!

Gordon

PS - you could also go into a shop and try both lenses to see which coverage looks more useful to yuor kind of photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:12 pm 

I have a 400D with Kit lens. I want to upgrade and looking at either the Canon 17-85IS or the Tamron 17-50 2.8. I want a general purpose lens but i take mostly landscapes. More towards the 17 end is important to me and i think lower light performance is useful. This would tend me to the Tamron (?)but some views of it are iffy and you rate the canon lens highly. What would be your advice - i am a newbe really - just want to take good quality pictures with minimum fuss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Fudge, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I'm afraid I haven't tested the Tamron model so can't comment on its quality. A local store might let you try both lenses on your body though and let you fire off a few frames for comparison. If this is possible, make sure you try them at the 17mm focal length that's important to you, and also at a variety of apertures. I'd also compare the focusing speed and noise as this could be an area where the Canon USM motor is much better.

The Canon 17-85mm is a good all-rounder though with a greater range, and don't forget it also has Image Stabilisation. I can highly recommend the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 if you need the extra light gatering power, but it ain't cheap.

Let us know how you get on...

Gordon