Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 50mm of happiness!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm 
What? size doesn't matter!^^
Ok, putting aside the "omg I love my new lens, its great blablabla" (which I do think) I wanted to share my first shots I took moments ago with my new 50mm 1.8 (For a strange reason I didn't go for the 1.4... oh I remember, the reason was called price difference)

So here it goes:

Click through for larger sizes. Please comment as this is my first time with a 50mm.

I find it to lack a little sharpness (then again I almost only shot at 1.8 ) but its great to have so much control over the DoF. I heard people saying that they have a hard time using other lenses after trying the 50mm. I'm not convinced I will never use my 18-135mm again... it may not by wide angle but it sure is handy to have at least 18mm focal range!
Anyway I'm gonna have to take my new baby to portrait mode because thats what it's best at I believe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 pm 
i love 2 and 3, just adore the colours
i also like the others, i just prefer 2 and 3
congrats an the new lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:19 pm 
Very nice, especially #1.

Did you do any post-processing on these? The colors are amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:02 am 

I also love my 1.8, and it's actually the cheapest lens I have too! I gotta get out there and take some more photos with it. You have some really great examples, especially that first one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:58 am 
Thanks everyone, and no I haven't done any post processing, these came out fresh out of my camera. The 50mm has great optical quality however the AF gets easily fooled in darker situations. But in daylight, its a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:28 pm 
Nice sets Of your 50mm Pics! & Congratz for recently Purchased 50 f/1.8 Lens

Pic #3 looks similar as Mine & great shot BTW :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:03 am 
Another small contribution taken yesterday:

6. "Private Area"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm 
sorry mate, no picture here. might just be my computer but i can't see no #6, which is a shame seeing as the others are so good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 pm 
#6 looks Good to me & B&W looks better on this :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 pm 
I'm sorry to say this, but #6 was bad. While I understand the excitement of having razor thin DoF, this was the wrong application of it. The narrow DoF is excellent for subject isolation. In this case, it obscures the subject and prevents you from taking it in.

Go easy on the shallow DoF. It's a tool like any other and should not be abused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:50 pm 
Thanks guys, and yes the black and white really turned out well on this one.

pgtips are talking about the sign that is difficult to read? Because if you are, than, yes, I agree that I went a bit crazy on the DoF. It does ruin the main subject, I guess that I was focused on the second half of the chain that turned into a "bokeh chain". And I couldn't resist to the temptation of shooting it! Thanks for pointing it out, I'll just have to calm my bokeh urge (or will I?) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:19 pm 

#1 is very good. I like it a lot. Great colors. I like that these flowers get enough attention. They and dandelions are the most seen here in my part of the world.

regards,
HTG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:39 am 
Q u e n t i n wrote:
pgtips are talking about the sign that is difficult to read? Because if you are, than, yes, I agree that I went a bit crazy on the DoF. It does ruin the main subject, I guess that I was focused on the second half of the chain that turned into a "bokeh chain". And I couldn't resist to the temptation of shooting it! Thanks for pointing it out, I'll just have to calm my bokeh urge (or will I?) 8)

Yeah, that's the one. Don't worry too much about it. I've been through that phase too. There was a HDR phase, a macro phase and now I've just gotten over (I hope) the shallow DoF phase.