Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:50 am 
http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:29 pm 
What this really says in short is that this feature is not a reason to buy a camera as most don't really work (incl Canon).

So I pose a question.

If you have pure iso-propyl alcohol and need to clean your sensor, how do you do it and not really mess it up? Assuming that blowing has not worked.

And are there any cautions with blowing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:27 am 
Site Admin

I would definitely try blowing first to get rid of dust.

We have a workshop about it here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/workshops/dslr_dust/

If it reassures you about applying direct contact though, you are cleaning the surface of a filter, not the sensor itself, but then I don't think I'd be that happy about the risk of scratching that either.

Has anybody used any of the cleaning brushes with their DSLR? I may get lots of dust in the DSLRs I test, but luckily a blow with the blower brush has so far managed to displace them all.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:01 pm 
Thanks Gordon - I've stuck it in my favourites for when I need it.

If I should choose the fabled 18-200 VR and never change demount my lens, will I never have a problem? Or can dust sneak in over time?

Never had this problem with film! Although I did once have a piece of grit in the track which ran a scratch through a roll of film on a "holiday of a life-time" - only time it ever happend. That's sods law for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I've had scratched film too - both by the internal rails and also by the lab's processing machines...

Since lenses aren't sealed from air, there's a slim chance dust can be 'sucked' in as the barrel extends or retracts and it could feasibly end up making its way through the optics and into the body - but it is pretty slim.

Put it this way: if there's no dust already in the body and you then fit the 18-200mm - and never take it off again! - then you'll certainly have minimal dust worries! But you can't rule it out completely.

Then again it is one of the great catch-22's in DSLR photography, as one of the most exciting aspects of owning a DSLR is the possibility of swapping lenses! It would certainly be a shame if people are reluctant to try new optics due to the possibility of dust getting into their bodies...

Gordon