Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Printing 4"X6" Photos
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:31 pm 
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to print borderless photos on 4"X6" photo paper without the annoying cropping at all! I know that the printer has to overspray while printing borderless photos but although it only seems to crop about less than 1cm from the edges of the photos, it can be annoying sometimes.

Is there anyway to "trick" the printer? Like adding white borders around the photo? Or resizing the photo? Any settings to tweak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:35 pm 
canon printers can do the jod well' set to borderles:
whats the brand of that printer you use? brands have their own settings it might let me help if i know your printer :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:02 pm 
Hi there, it's just a simple HP F2120 AIO. What I want to try and do is minimize or best, eliminate, the cropping of the entire image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Iselore, it's frustrating, isn't it?!

Since all printers crop to different degrees, you'll need to experiment with different sized false borders of your own until you get it right - note, it may not be symmetrical either, so one border may need to be thicker than the others.

I should of course also ask, does the shape of your images match that of the paper? If you're using a compact camera, it's shape will be taller: a 4:3 aspect ratio, and this will crop strips from the top and bottom if printed on 6x4in paper that's wider. If you're shooting with a DSLR though, you'll be okay as all but Four Thirds models have image shapes which match the 3:2 shape of 6x4in paper.

If you are using a compact, consider printing on 6x4.5in paper or taking photos with a 3:2 cropped mode to perfectly fit 6x4in paper.

Even if the shapes match though, you may still need to create false borders to avoid cropping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 am 
Hehe, thanks for the reply. I took the photos using a 40D and and 850IS but as the 850IS is not 4:3, I'll have to crop it and then when I print it, the printer will crop it further!!!

I was hoping someone knows some good settings for false borders or other printer settings as a base to start off so once I get it right, It should be fine for the rest of the photos! Just came back from a holiday and I'm eager to print my photos! Haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Iselore, your 40D will be taking photos that have a 3:2 aspect ratio that matches 6x4in paper. Your 850 IS will (with its default settings) take photos with a squarer 4:3 aspect ratio, which will involve cropping on 6x4in paper.

As for creating false borders, it'll vary between printer models, so you'll just have to experiment yourself! But first try printing one from your 40D to see how much is really being cropped, as those images should fit the paper perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 pm 
In my eperience i croped it using the MS office picture manger i don't have a problem with my hp.

Altou in printing you can set it to borderles the computer will crop it for you, if there's no emportant things at the side being croped so just print borderless... :)

i hope itl help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:37 pm 
Thanks alot guys. Finally figured out a suitable way after quite awhile. Added a 0.4 cm white border to the left, 0.21 to the top and bottom, then resized it back to 4"X6" and the picture came out pretty good with very very little cropping but it seems now my printer has some print quality problems....sigh lol

I could see the horizontal lines and very "dotty" even at maximum dpi. I printed a test page and found out the print quality was suffering. So I tried to do some print head cleaning but it made it worse and now when I print colours, the colours are whacked! Like green prints as purple...........oh well....