Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Which budget dSLR would you buy?
Canon EOS 350D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Konica-Minolta Dynax 5D 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Nikon D50 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pentax *istDL 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:41 pm 
Hi;

I'm completely new to dSLR's - I've only had compact point-and-shoots (currently a Casio QV-R62), and always end up quite disappointed with the quality of images, especially in low light / indoor / outdoor by night situations (where I seem to take 80% of my photos) - either very noisy, shaky or both. Had a bit of a go with a work colleague's EOS20D - and really liked some of the indoor pics (though understand he had a posh "portrait" lense that didn't need a flash?), but I'm getting to be of the opinion (right or wrong) that I'm not going to ever be very satisfied by the picture quality from the compacts.

I've been reading up on the internet on the Dynax 5D (as the anti-shake feature really interests me) and it looks like it could be the one for me; but every time I go into a Jessops and as the assistants what they think they tell me they'd go for the Canon EOS-350D. Being inquisitive I asked if it was just as it was a bit more expensive ;). In one store, I was told the Canon lenses are much better, and in another I was told that while the anti-shake on the Dynax was useful; the Canon worked much better at higher sensitivities, alevieating the need for the anti-shake.

I wasn't really bowled over with confidence from either assistant - so were their points really valid? And would something like the Canon be much better suited to me?

Thanks in advance

james (confused!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:48 pm 
My choice should be for Olympus E500
Exceptional value for the lowest price
Supersonic Wave Filter eliminates dust from the sensor
Zuiko Digital lenses are superb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:27 am 
The last place I would get advice is from a salesman. Listen to the experts. Antishake, in the KM 5D and 7D cameras is a compelling and outstanding value. I've owned two cameras with KM Antishake, and I wouldn't have anything else. It works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:18 pm 
Thanks for the replies.

Popped into Jessops again today - first off the assistant said straight away "you know that konica are leaving the business" which I did know, but it was nice of him to mention.

Guy seemed a bit confused however over the operation of the flash - he was convinced that it popped up automatically in low light - but I couldn't get it to in auto. It did open manually (two small nodules on each side of flash to pull it up by). The flash didn't seem amazingly sturdy - and it wasn't very easy to open it up while holding onto the camera securely - is it really the case that it can't pop up automatically / from some button on the back? Having to mess around trying to get the flash open might be a bit of a limit for me...

cheers
james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:04 am 
The flash is manual...you, manually, use your fingers :)

Never bothered me. I have other cameras, and some Minoltas, that have that auto pop-up feature. Has a tendency to pop-up when you least expect it. Having that happen would lead to more breakage, I presume.

Never heard of a 5D flash breaking.

Sony bought the whole Konica Minolta DSLR division. They will continue to make this camera, and other new ones, branded with Sony and Konica Minolta. The Minolta lens mount will remain.

Doesn't seem like there is anything to worry about. With Sony state of the art CCD's, things can only get better.