Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:29 pm 

Hey, Gordon,
you still owe Sylvia an answer with respect to the brilliance of the N2 display. What is your take on this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, I thought that was your question, not Sylvias!

Anyway, the N2's screen was fine when I used it under bright conditions. It remained quite visible and usable. The only thing I'd mention though is as a touch-sensitivie screen, it inevitably becomes a bit covered in fingerprints, although Sony does at least supply a stylus to tap it with if you prefer. The technology behind the screen also means it has a slightly different, almost matt finish compared to normal colour screens, but again it looked fine to me in practice.

If you're concerned about the screen's performance in bright light though, I always recommend visiting a shop or showroom and taking the camera outside to see if it meets your expectations.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:56 am 
Hi Gordon,

I will definitely purchase via the link if I decide to buy from Amazon. I know these clicking fund this site. (does it work just by clicking but not buying?) Sometimes I just click click click...

YES YES I have watched the video. Love your accent!!! :lol:

I probably won't buy it too recently. I will come back and let you know if I do get one and how I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:59 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Thomas, I thought that was your question, not Sylvias!

Anyway, the N2's screen was fine when I used it under bright conditions. It remained quite visible and usable. The only thing I'd mention though is as a touch-sensitivie screen, it inevitably becomes a bit covered in fingerprints, although Sony does at least supply a stylus to tap it with if you prefer. The technology behind the screen also means it has a slightly different, almost matt finish compared to normal colour screens, but again it looked fine to me in practice.

If you're concerned about the screen's performance in bright light though, I always recommend visiting a shop or showroom and taking the camera outside to see if it meets your expectations.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon and Thomas.

I haven't been able to find N2 in any shops near my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sylvia, glad you liked the accent - and I don't think you'll have any problems with the N2's screen brightness. I used it in some very bright conditions here and it was fine.

As for your question about commission, affiliate systems like those offered by Amazon, Adorama and Jessops only pay commission when someone clicks through via our links and then actually buys the product during the same session.

Alternatively if you'd like to check the latest prices, click the store logos at the bottom of each review in the Pricegrabber boxes.

There's more info on how to support Cameralabs below. We appreciate your help!

http://www.cameralabs.com/about/

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:53 am 
I finally saw Sony DSC-N2 at local Sears. I kind of fell out of love to it, though. The body is not as pretty as I thought. Actually it is a bit dirty looking. As Gordon point out, the touch screen has fingerprint problem. I thought it wouldn't matter. But I have to admit, it looks a bit nasty and greasy. I am glad I saw it before I bought online.

I also saw the new DSC-W55 in Best Buy. It is a very very cute camera. But the LCD screen is too bright and blurry. Not sure why.

I have been doing more researching on Image Stablizer and think I will get one with it. So far the winner is Canon PowerShot SD800 IS. I will wait a little until Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30K come out.

What do you think Canon PowerShot SD800 IS and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30K ? They seem to be very similar.

Another reason I decided not to buy a Sony is the over-priced memory card. A 1GB memory stick duo pro (whatever you call it) is like $35~$40 (cheaper brand) while I can get a 2G SD card less than $10 with rebate sometimes. Not to mention I already have 4 or 5 of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sylvia, glad you saw it in person - I'd always recommend picking up a potential camera purchase and checking it out yourself before buying.

As for memory cards, you're right, their price and any existing cards you own can greatly influence a purchasing decision.

If you like SD and image stabilisation, then it sounds like it's Panasonic or Canon!

Panasonic make some excellent cameras, although tend to apply too much noise reduction at higher sensitivities as you'll see in the results pages of our reviews. But so long as you force the camera to use lower ISO settings, or just don't epxect too much from the images taken at high ISOs, then you'll be fine.

I haven't tested the SD800IS or the FX30, but I do like the way Panasonic are featuring wider-angle lenses than almost anyone else. The difference between 28mm and 35mm equivalent focal lengths is quite dramatic when it comes to landscapes or group shots at close range.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:42 am 

Hi Sylvia,

my recommendation says: Go see the Pana!