Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need Backup HD!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:21 am 
My Macbook HD is nearly full. About 1.7 GB empty left so need to consider an External HD, I really need to Have it at my local online store so its good to buy it or look elsewhere & any recommendation than that :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 am 
i would like to recomend a 2.5 " drive as they are built for mobile devices they are built to be transportable and most do not require an extra power source as they run off the power from a usb port we recently bought 4 of these drives http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=2420

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:22 pm 

I would suggest against a small 2,5" HDD. The smaller the drive, the more crammed the bits/magnetized iron is, and the greater the possibility of data corruption. Get a larger disk with a low capacity :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm 

The size depends if you want to move it a lot, and have access to power easily. For pure capacity it has to be 3.5 inch. Only for portability would you go 2.5 inch. 2.5 inch drives typically take much lower power too.

The density of the two will probably work out the same actually, it is no more dense in a 2.5 inch drive than a 3.5 inch one. Just 3.5 inch gives you much bigger capacity, often at lower cost too.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm 

popo wrote:
The size depends if you want to move it a lot, and have access to power easily. For pure capacity it has to be 3.5 inch. Only for portability would you go 2.5 inch. 2.5 inch drives typically take much lower power too.

The density of the two will probably work out the same actually, it is no more dense in a 2.5 inch drive than a 3.5 inch one. Just 3.5 inch gives you much bigger capacity, often at lower cost too.

Still, a 200 GB drive is generally more reliable than a 2.5" 200 GB drive. It gets hotter, has data crammed closer, and can be more prone to shocks due to the parts being closer together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:51 pm 
2.5 " drives are made to live in mobile devices such as laptops and are made to be mobile i don't know anyone who packs their desktop drive enclosures along with all of the power cords that go with them and all of their camera gear for a photo trip it would be quite the hassle. we just crossed our country on a 6000 km trip taking photos along the way backing up and editing as we went and the 2.5 " drives worked great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm 

Citruspers wrote:
Still, a 200 GB drive is generally more reliable than a 2.5" 200 GB drive. It gets hotter, has data crammed closer, and can be more prone to shocks due to the parts being closer together.

The 2.5 inch drive will draw much less power than a similar 3.5 inch drive, so over its smaller size I don't think there will be much in it temperature wise. Also the 2.5 inch drives are generally more shock resistant because the parts inside them are less heavy. The closeness doesn't change much as the heads still need to float on the surface without touching. Also they're designed to work in a mobile environment, whereas 3.5 inch drives are not. You'll probably find the brand itself has more of an influence on reliability.

Having said all that, I still say if cost/capacity is the thing, 3.5 is the way to go. Only if mobility is critical then 2.5 starts to look more attractive.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:18 pm 
First you need to choose which type of hard drive you want

PORTABLE:
+small in size & portable
+does not need to be plugged into a power outlet
-tend to be smaller capacity (GB)
-more expensive
note: some need to be plugged into 2 USB ports at a time for additional power

NORMAL:
+large capacity (GB)
+cheaper
-need to be plugged into power outlet

I have a normal 500gb USB hard drive that i need to plug unto a power socket. i bought it ages ago for about £70 and its ben geat (its a freecome). it is a bit of a pain as when i travel i need to take a power cord but i dont move it around that often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:32 am 
I would suggest a Firewire 400 drive since your MacBook has the capability and it is marginally faster than USB 2.0. FW400/USB/E-SATA drives mean you don't lose compatibility with other computers and you pay only slightly more.

That particular Lacie you've linked to is very expensive for what you get. You're paying a lot for style and the porsche branding if it was your intention to get a simple ext. HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:08 am 
Thanks for the Recommendation guys :D , I opt go for the Normal Ex HD rather than the portable one. Because I already have my Potable HD ( 40 GB ) which is also nearly full so which is really need to upgrade to Normal Ex HD.

Citruspers wrote:
I would suggest against a small 2,5" HDD. The smaller the drive, the more crammed the bits/magnetized iron is, and the greater the possibility of data corruption. Get a larger disk with a low capacity :)

I would agree with Citruspers that portable version can be fragile & easily loose some data or corruption. So again I'll go for Normal Ex HD around 250 GB To 500GB at least I use it at home so no need to carry around elsewhere. If I'm go for traveling I might bring my current portable Ex HD but still the memory capacity isn't that versatile for my needs so maybe in the future I would invest for better portable Ex HD at least the memory at 250GB to 320GB :(

grahamnp wrote:
That particular Lacie you've linked to is very expensive for what you get. You're paying a lot for style and the porsche branding if it was your intention to get a simple ext. HD.

Well thats just my suggestion & it is pricy so need to search & roam around for the best buck for the Normal Ex HD. :)