Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:01 pm 

Hello,

I am a hobbyist and I love macro photography, please suggest what will be good for me as my budget is $350 this year on the equipment.

Nikkor AF-S 105MM F/2.8 VRII or CANON SD880 IS with its minimum focusing possibility to focus subjects at 2cm from lens?

Nikkor is quite expensive and I have to wait until next year for it to buy, any reference where can I buy used one online?

I need a back up camera for sure and heard about Canon SD880 IS its among the best compacts in market.

What will be your call if you have to take this decision?

Regards to All - Complaints to None.

My Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:26 pm 

I had a point-and-shoot first before I got my DSLR and I suppose it depends on the person, but I rarely use my P&S anymore (Nikon Coolpix S51). In fact, it's sitting in my girlfriend's dorm 400km away from me in Toronto at the moment, and has been since January...

If I were you, I would save up longer and buy the dedicated macro lens. It'll be easier to save up less money and buy the P&S camera after you've dropped a load of cash on the lens. Plus the quality of the images you get from the lens will be that much better, at least from a technical standpoint.

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:01 pm 
Dedicated Macro lens, DEFINATELY, you will get much better images from a DSLR and a Macro lens, than from a compact, and also you will be able to get as close, as the compact, in theory :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:19 am 
That's an interesting one! They are completely different for sure, the macro mode on the Canon, even if it gets you within 2cm will not give you the magnification or the IQ of the Nikkor or any other dedicated macro lens. If I were to pick the SD880, it would be as an alternative camera and not at all for it's macro ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:59 pm 
I don't think this is quite a user review, so I'm moving this into the Off-topic section, which might yield more comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Photoj!

That's a really interetsing question and one I've actually thought about many times in the past. If you're coming from a point and shoot to a DSLR it can be quite a shock to lose the amazing macro capabilities you had on the compact - and to find you'll need to buy a dedicated lens to come close.

I think you already know the answer: if you're after the best quality and least distortion, then a macro lens for your DSLR is the way forward. But if you're happy with the macro results from a compact (ie some distortion and softening in the corners), then it could be a neat alternative, while also giving you the convenience of a second camera. Note, you'll also have a larger depth of field with the compact, so more will be in focus with its macro mode. Most macro lenses will have a much smaller depth of field, even if you stop them down - this can be seen as an advantage if you want blurred background effects, but sometimes annoying as you have to be much more careful about focusing.

PS - and the SD880 IS / Ixus 870 IS remains one of the best compacts around - see our review!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:59 am 

Thank you all and especially Gordon

I got my answers and now I am clear with my requirement, most probably I will end up buying Nikkor 105mm lens even if I have to wait for few more months on the savings. I am very keen on image clarity and sharpness when it comes to macro photography.

Hopefully I can make good savings soon...

My Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:15 am 
Macro Lens is a new Black & you can't wrong with that lens :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:38 am 

Buy the Nikon 105 lens. Nothing can be compare with a true macro lens not even close up filters and extension tubes. Here is a link of pictures I have taken a couple of hours ago with my Nikon D90 and Nikon 105f2.8 VR macro lens. Have in mind that I have re size the pictures to just about 400pixels and they do not look so good as the originals. Also a 105 macro can allow you to work from more distance than a 60mm and that's really very useful.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 097a23135a