Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:08 am 

since i'm still looking for a all-in-one ultra zoom camera, compact is possible, mostly in auto mode, i couldn't yet decide wich to buy.

possible fast and accurate focus, even in low light, good picture quality,
10x-12x optical lens.

here are my consideration list:

Panasonic: fz-30
fz-7
tz-1
Sony h-1,

any suggestions?
thanks in advance[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Hello Uncle, thanks for your posts and welcome to Cameralabs.

Of the four models you've shortlisted, I can only comment on the FZ-30 as it's the only one of the four I've personally tested. It's certainly a great camera, as its owners will agree, but it is now getting on for a year old, which is ageing in the digital camera market. Consequently it's worth comparing it closely against more recently announced models, especially if you're into higher ISO performance. Once we've published the backlog of results we have for several lenses, we'll look into testing some of its more recent rivals...

Gordon

Post subject: I feel your Pain
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:06 pm 

I to have been looking at a Super-Zoom as they are the same price as getting a zoom for my Rebel XT.
The new Olympus SP-550 SZ looks interesting, but the new Panasonic FZ8 looks even better (salivating over the Leica lens).
As Gordon replied to one of my posts "remember PMA is coming up in March, so expect a glut of new cameras!" this is a testament to Moore's Law which says the speed of computers will double every 18 months.
Since this is happening to Cameras now I think it would be wise for me to get an All-in-One, keep it cheap and upgrade every 3-5 years and give my older model to my Nephews or Charity.
I think the days of Brand Loyalty are gone. My first camera was a Minolta XG-1, I upgraded to a X-570 and used it for 20 years till they sold out to Sony.
So if the manufactures do not listen to the Forums like this one they will be out of business soon.
I would look at the Panasonic when the sample pics come out to see if the reduced the noise levels, I was talking to a friends of mine about noise and he thought I meant Shutters and Mirror Return Noise.

Post subject: Possible ultrazooms
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:08 am 

May I suggest that those of you interested in an UZ also consider waiting until June (according to Amazon.com) for a look at the Sony DSC-H9 with 15X optical zoom and Super SteadyShot image stabilization (as in the A100).

Russ

Post subject: H9
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm 

Yes Russel you have hit the nail on the head, Gordon suggested to wait as well due to the PMA show.
The Sony looks like they read my dream list by having a wireless remote as well as good sensor for its class and price.
So I am going to Las Vegas for a wedding and hope the H9 is released before I go.