Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:32 am 
Hey, after seeing this vid on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=0rfL00UCANA I got extremely interested in timelapse photography. :P I tried to lookup some information on wikipedia but I still haven't found the right interval and exposure settings so I can get a smooth looking video. I want to try it at night so it will definitly be an exposure of approx 10 seconds and with an interval of 1 photo / 20 sec ??? Who will tell me what I need to know ? :P

Thanks

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:49 am 

Hi Bart,

Health Warning: I've never tried this so the following may be rubbish!

Freeze frame a few of the shots about 30 seconds into the video and the length of the headlight trails will give you the individual exposure times if you can estimate the distance between the lamp posts and the likely speed of the cars. At about this time there is also some traffic feeding in on the road at the right. Even though that traffic is going slower unless my poor old eyes are deceiving me individual cars are only represented by two (or possibly) three exposures and I get a sense that the interval between exposures is at least as long as the length of each exposure. Remember that the human brain is quite good at filling in missing details so you get the impression of continuous motion.

I'll be fascinated to hear how you get on.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:15 pm 
Thanks for the info, I think i'm gonna try it out with a video of about 10 seconds so I won't 'waste' to many frames on it.

But does anyone have an idea with what software you can stitch them all together ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:20 pm 

Bart Michiels wrote:
But does anyone have an idea with what software you can stitch them all together ?

Try this Google search. Be aware that McAfee SiteAdvisor flags some of the results as sites that may contain malware. Not unusual at download sites but make sure you check out any software you plan to install (security suite check and user reviews).

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:49 pm 
Got no advice for you cause ive never done it.... but the planes landing (around 1:30) looks so cool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:38 am 
I love the airport time lapse :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bart, elsewhere Studini suggested Photoshop CS3 for making a time lapse out of seperate frames, although I've not tried it myself. You could download the free trial and try it out though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:08 pm 
antman wrote:

looks like alien ufo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:24 am 
Noticed this article the other day--hope it helps: http://photojojo.com/content/tutorials/ ... otography/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:19 am 

Hi j0nheck,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums and thanks for sharing.

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:10 am 

Bart Michiels wrote:

If you are on a PC use Windows Movie Maker to import the pictures, to create a movie.
Likewise, on a mac, use Apple's imovie software.

Both options are free, and come preinstalled on your computer.

Post subject: Photoshop cs3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:20 am 
I agree with gordon on this issue.
adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended has a feture that allows video output when compiling a bunch of images. this is done by clicking open images as sequence when you click a folder then "open"
you may need to click Window and then animation to open up your video editing timeline.
hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 pm 

Have a look at this stop-motion-film made in twenty days of twenty thousand still images:
http://www3.thestar.com/cgi-bin/star_st ... _sick.html
Amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 am 
I can see the idea of doing this if you don't have access to a video camera, but really ...this is just digital video with a very low FPS count.

There's no commonly available video renderer that can work with 6-12 MP per frame, so it has to be derezzed somewhere in the process. But even if you got a hold of one, there are no monitors to display such high resolution.

It then begs the question - why strain your shutter-mechanics by doing this primitive trick? The new Nikon D60 has this "feature" as well and it made me roll my eyes when I saw it..lol.

This is similar to offering a new animation program that will allow you to paint each frame separately and then display them fast, one after the other..and voila! animation! lol

Save your expensive camera and get a 300$ DV camera and record footage. Slap it into a video editor and get better results. Batch-remove every Xth frame to get this time-lapse effect. Alternately, increae the playback speed to 20 times normal.

For about 1000$ you can get the Hi-DEF DVs and not only do time-lapse but real movie footage and record sound too.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:14 am 
Cr4zYH3aD wrote:
antman wrote:

looks like alien ufo

I was thinking the same thing about UFO, that was the coolest part.