Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:37 pm 
hoto? If so how?

Basically a while back my brother took a photo of our mum who has since died. I have only just seen the photo and she occupies about 1/4 of the photo. My brother/we wish to enlarge the image of her but blown up the 'grain' is coarse and to my eye can be almost seen.
On his PC the original? image is only around 100kb which seems small to me and I am hoping that there is a true and much larger original somewhere on his PC. If I remember correctly his camera is a Kodak 2M pixel something or other. He doesn't use a memory card so what exists on his PC is all that there is.
I dont have a similar enough shot of her to copy her face to my brother's shot.

Thanks

PS I have photoshop 7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 pm 
You can't "create" data out of nothing. You can resize the image to be bigger, but you will not gain any more details by doing so. Instead, you'll just make the image a lot more grainy as you have discovered.

That's the curse of digital imaging. With film, you might have been able to do a fairly decent enlargement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:36 pm 

some apps try to suppress the noise or "create details" (interpolate), like Photozoom Pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 pm 
there are programs such as Reshade, and Genuine Fractal, that can upsize images based on complicated algorithms, but the important thing to remember (which has already been stated), is that you cant create information out of nothing.

these programs will only take an estimate at pixels.

see my thread about Re Shade: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=#94206

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 pm 
I don´t have the software myself, but perhaps this is of interest to you:
The Magnifier 2.0-software from Akvis. http://www.akvis.com/en/magnifier/index.php

Kind regards,

ngc94227

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 pm 
Thanks for the replies and I will investigate the suggestions.
I sort of thought I wouldn't be able to "create" information as such but I was wondering if software exists that could divide each current pixel into say 4 new pixels with each new pixel having the properties/colour of the original pixel. The subsequent pixels would then provide a finer grid to which retouching could be applied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:32 pm 
Ha......... Another interesting thread! Well, let's look at it from another angle! Do you believe that what you have in your brother's computer is NOT the original photograph? Do you think it is a resized, down-sampled version? If that IS the case, then obviously there did exist a full resolution photo somewhere, right? That can be your brother's computer (before he resized it) or the camera itself. Now, how long has it been since that photo was shot? If it's not too long, there's a very good chance that you might be able to get it back. How? Well, there are softwares available whose job is to do just that. Even if the computer's hard drive is formatted, you CAN usually recover a LOT. If the photo was on a memory card or the camera's in-built memory, you still have a very fair chance. There is a recovery tool for almost everything that is digital. If it was on a film, your only hope would be some unworldly miracle. Now that changes the perspective on film vs. digital, doesn't it? It should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:04 pm 

Well, he already said the picture was taken with a 2 megapixel camera, which would indeed account for a small, low-res image file. (1600x1200 pixels)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:17 pm 
But 100KB sounds too tiny even for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:25 pm 

R0Y.1 wrote:
But 100KB sounds too tiny even for that.

Depends on the Jpeg quality setting used. Fine would be bigger, but many camera's are set at normal by default (sadly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:55 pm 
Yes, of course. But only he can say that for sure after he recovers the original, if any. But even a normal quality jpg would be at least three times bigger than that. So, let's just be optimistic and hope that our friend finds a better sample. However, I hope you don't disagree with my initial opinion about the usefulness of digital over film. Because if he had a, say, 6x4 bad quality printed photo, and he had lost the negative, he would not be in a better position by now, would he? On the other hand, even if he doesn't find the original (or suppose this one IS the original), he does have the scope to get better results from digital enhancements which are improving everyday. I think I can specifically point towards one such app right now, which is Topaz Vivacity. It is a plugin for PS (which he already owns). They claim to do a better job than PS itself.
Quote:
...The resulting quality is much better than standard bicubic interpolation used in leading pixel-wrangling applications like Photoshop; edges stay intact and details stay sharp...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:52 pm 
To answer Roy's questions.
"Do you believe that what you have in your brother's computer is NOT the original photograph?" I am hoping that there is.

"Do you think it is a resized, down-sampled version?" I am hoping it is, 100k does seem very small to me. That's back to the size of image that my Canon A40 put out but a quick google suggests that similar looking kodaks are of about the same age as my A40 so maybe it is all the camera put out. :(

The shot was taken in November and it hadnt occurred to me to run recover software, on the PC, to look for a deleted original. A quick google suggests it is not possible to do this on the actual camera. When I looked at the camera there were no images left on it but.........

I'll talk to my brother and see if he'd be prepared to install and run something like PC inspector, I have used that with success before.
I have downloaded Topaz Vivacity and will install it and try it when I know more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:43 pm 

It's absolutely possible to run recovery software on a camera memorycard, regardless of what sites tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm 
If what you now have is the original, then I guess there would be not much use trying a recovery. But what you can do by running a recovery (or simply by asking your brother to take a shot and see the file-size of the JPG) is verify if the default JPGs are indeed that small. If they are, then try the enhancements on the current photo. But do make a number of backups of the current one (preferably to a cd/dvd or another HDD/usb drive etc) before messing with the computer or the camera. If you see that you have 200kb-300kb sized JPGs, then possibly you do have a bigger sample waiting to be reincarnated.
If your brother's camera can be used as a "mass storage device" (i.e, it shows up as a new drive when connected to the pc) then you CAN run recovery on it.
It would be a good idea to stop writing files to the drive where you think the original file probably was. I know it's kinda very late now, but you should know.
There are TONS of applications designed to recover files from computers and other devices, but I haven't used pc-inspector for that purpose, so can't say much about that. Try "Runtime getdataback", "Recover my files", or "Power data recovery". If some of the recovered JPGs appear corrupted, then there's one utility called JPEG Recovery which can fix them for you.

Otherwise, Vivacity and/or other apps seem to be the only solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:50 am 
Roy "asking your brother to take a shot and see the file-size of the JPG" duh, Homer moment, I should have thought of that, it's always the simple things that get over looked. :oops: Though I'll see what he says the camera shows up as before he takes any more photos.

Citruspers thanks, I know memory card can be read but in this case there is no memory card, he must use the memory of the camera.