Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:17 pm 
As stated in the topic,
I'm looking to buy a laptop (windows based) for my personal use, that includes few photo editing, playing games (quite normal games) and browsing....

This is all I do and I dont like the Lenovo laptops. So except that brand please share your suggestions and tips to buy a laptop.
BTW the budget could be max 1200$. I'm seeing mixed reviews for Dell XPS... Also saw some positive reviews about Toshiba. Since I dont have any hands on experience on the brands, I would like to get some tips from you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:46 pm 

When I recommend a computer purchase aside from the specs to do the job you require I think the next most important thing is how easy will it be for me to get it fixed if/when it goes wrong. If you can find a supplier/manufacturer that gives you the best/easiest solution to that then go for that supplier and machine.

If you live 5 minutes from a WalMart and you think they have a good warranty buy from them. If you are close to a PC World then buy from them. If you are buying over the web and you need to return a machine then you have to think of the costs and time to do that.

You can make any computer and OS to do any job the differences are down to the interface and integration of packages (as well as what you are used to using).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:57 pm 
Hi,

I think after some point of time, the store from where the system is bought no longer takes care of it.....

I think the electronic gadgets are more or less based on the luck part. I have seen few guys suffering a lot with their costly laptop and guys who are cool with their "cheap" slow laptops.

However thanks for your tips, I will have a look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:07 pm 
I have a £400 Acer Aspire 5920G and it works great. It's a little on the bulky side, but then that doesn't bother me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:40 pm 
I have a Dell Inspirion 6400, which i bought in Feb 2007 (discontinued) which has taken ALOT of abuse, (i am rather heavy handed) and is still continuing to carry on, although is lacking now a bit in terms of spec, but for the price Dell's laptops seem to be pretty good, although i wouldn't bother personally with the XPS laptops, you pay for 'XPS' name! An equivalent spec Dell laptop like a 'Studio' Is much better spec for the same price, usually, unless Dell have changed recently!
Hope that helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm 
@Ed,
Yes exactly. That is true. The XPS is priced more than the equivalent Studio 15.
Dell gives laptops with 2.5Ghz cpu speed and some 3-4GB RAM costing around $900-1200.... I was also thinking on the Studio 15 rather than the XPS 1530.

When i just went to the toshiba webpage, man they are very costly than the Dells. Are they really worth that much.????