Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How much do I charge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 pm 
I am

Last edited by lolalola on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 pm 

I was curious before, and did a google search. Many wedding photographers have online price lists which can serve as guidance. Don't forget different people have different needs so you may need to adapt as necessary. There is a lot of scope in what you can provide outside just taking the photos. It also depends on your local area and the market. Especially if you're new you might want to price lower to help build up a reputation and work your way from there.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 pm 
thank you,

Last edited by lolalola on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:55 pm 
kerryannduffy wrote:
Most recently i quoted.
1 hour £200
2 hour £300 and then £100 hourly from there.
I didnt include anything else, just offered album and single prints etc at specific prices.

...this is either normal or im too expensive!?...What are your thoughts?

We've had so many charging threads on this forum before, and it's hard to place a value if we don't know our local market, or how to value our skills as well.

Think of it like this: you are a package. The client hires you as they like you, your approach with them, & photography style.

Your photography style is something that you will fine tune over the years, and this is what you have to self-value. Do you think you're worth £100 an hour? (From your posts, I think you're hesistating about this value) Is this value for your skill behind the camera, or for the numerous hours of post-processing thereafter? An hour's rate translates usually to 5-7 hours in the inexperienced who have very cluttered workflow, so the net hourly rate could be more in the realm of £20 an hour from capturing to finished product.

Then you have your client's decision on what to purchase...This is harder to predict.

Therefore you have seen packages on the market at a set fee - this usually includes an end-product for the client to keep (and makes your job easier as you know what you've got to produce by the end). The package takes into account the number of hours you need to work behind the camera & at a screen, and then taking your level of expertise to calculate the rate per unit hour.

Either way, it stems down to your self-worth. If you think you're worth "X" amount, then charge "X" amount. It's as simple as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:57 pm 
Thank you.

Last edited by lolalola on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:01 pm 

Keep Chase Jarvis' advice in mind: Underpromise and Overdeliver! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 am 

Have a look at this website http://www.davidho.co.uk/index2.php

You need to navigate to the INFORMATION and PRICING menus (no direct link as the site is all Adobe Flash).

I like the idea that you are being charged one price for a complete service. The photographer is informing the client what it will take in terms of time to give a great result. Rather than the meter is running and the photographer just keeps going until the client says stop.