Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:08 pm 
I'm at the point, where I need a more advanced website. That means, professional layout (well I could do the layout myself but I'm simply not skilled enough to code it for the web) and a Flash slideshow portfolio. I might be able to get the basic construct from a friend of mine who does HTML pretty well, but he doesn't have the time to work himself into the dynamic flash stuff..

so my question is this - are there any easy external flash setups one can integrate in his website? A simple flash slideshow with a good navigation would do... Did you guys pay a professional to create your website or are you just skilled enough to do it yourselves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 pm 
How about the Web module in Lightroom, i have seen some pretty swish websites done with lightroom and some 3rd party layout downloads!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 pm 
oh my god you're right - I never bothered to click that "web" button in lightroom :shock:

gonna have to find out wether it's as easy as I think to implement that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 pm 
SimpleViewer is a drop in solution. Although restrictive due to this.

...I happen to know flash so I have that luxury at least. I'm too busy to help you.

try kirupa.com or gotoandLearn.com, they have market place on their forums

but try being more specific on what you want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:11 pm 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ask for a free customized flash layout here ;)

But LOL seriously, I was so blind not to see that lightroom plugin - I mean this is godsent! I don't need to know ANYTHING about flash and it gives me exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much guys!

I mean doing something like this in literally 2 minutes is way cool in my opinion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 pm 
You should have a look here: http://www.lightroomgalleries.com/categ ... downloads/

Also are you using free web hosting? Also i was wondering in return of me pointing that out for you, that you might be able to PM me about how you did it, and what you did, because when i tried several months ago, i just couldn't seem to work out how to do it!
Thanks and glad that helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:55 pm 
just a quick (though still heavily "UNDER CONSTRUCTION") preview - I think the flash integration worked out pretty well. The only thing that bugs me a little is obviously the "SimpleViewer" Logo, but I guess that's just the tribute of a free flash show ;)

http://dev.samuelbuchmann.ch/inhalt/portfolio.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm 
I'm playing around with web feature of Lightroom. It's great but the only problem is I want to build multiple galleries and then put index buttons to help the viewer navigate to the different galleries. Any thoughts on how I'd do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:20 pm 
flash - YUK YUK YUK don't do it.

they take ages to load
need additional software which often have security holes in them.
As much as i like all that fancy swooshing and whoosing of effects all i really want to do on a website is easily and quickely navigat and find that i want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:41 pm 
I don't want anything fancy - just nice simple clean flash thumbnail gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:22 pm 
Just get a PHP photo gallery, free open source PHP photo gallery called "coppermine" if you want to set it up and install it on your own server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:38 pm 
I do my hosting through Godaddy - no webserver to install php and the other reqs on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:59 pm 
tobywuk wrote:
flash - YUK YUK YUK don't do it.

they take ages to load
need additional software which often have security holes in them.
As much as i like all that fancy swooshing and whoosing of effects all i really want to do on a website is easily and quickely navigat and find that i want.

lol, Adobe Flash Player is installed on about 95% of all computers as far as I know - and who cares about iPhones and similar stuff... seriously, no customer with serious interest is going to view your homepage on a cellphone. And in fact it's one of the most fluent possibilities to show your pictures (as long as you don't put up a 10MB flash interface of course), since it downloads the next photos immediately - so you can scroll through galleries without having to wait for every picture to load each time...

I'm actually quite happy how my website turned out, have a look: www.samuelbuchmann.ch - optimized for firefox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:08 pm 
Adobe flash player is not software that is implemented into a computer/operaing system, its a browser plugin. Flash player is not installed in either firefox or IE by default. If you want more information on the security of adobe flashplayer then have a look at this long list. The iphone thing is more of an issue with apple.

The reason that all the photo's flow fluently is because they all have to be loaded up when the flash player starts. If you don't end up viewing or looking at all the images then its wasted time/bandwidth.

if a flash gallery is what you really want then by all means go ahead and implement one i'm not stopping you. All im bringing up is my opinion and the issued with it.

The way you have implemented it in your website is nice, but at the same time you also have to note that its only a small portion of your website that is using it and the amount of images you have is small and the size of them is small. BTW your photo's are awsome :D

a system you may also be interested in is Lightbox but again i'm not a big fan of javascript as im in the profession of computer security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 pm 
hmm I guess I was a bit too radical. Of course, there are downsides such as security issues. But you really have to ask yourself, if your potential customer will probably have flash installed on their computer. And once you got to the conclusion that they most likely have, it's simply not your job to worry about security problems - they have flash and can view your site properly, that's what counts.

And of course if you don't view all pictures it's wasted banwith, but it's not going to bother you since you spend that time looking at pictures anyway. And no, in the particular case of lightrooms flash galleries, you don't have to load the entire gallery to be able to start viewing it. As soon as the first picture is loaded, you're ready to go and the other photos load in the background.

the other thing with small or big pictures is a different issue. If you put uncompressed 1600*1050 JPGs with 2MB each on a site, of COURSE it's gonna suck - no matter what gallery you use. My opinion is that small (as in ~500-600p) pictures make the site a lot more fluent and you pretty much avoid the risk of copyright violations