Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:50 pm 
D300 + 24-70mm f/2.8. No post-processing whatsoever, just the way it came out of the camera and this awesome lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:17 pm 
Whoa, it almost looks unreal! can you post some exif data? i'd like to see it particularly the focal length and shutter speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:08 pm 
Tomis wrote:
Whoa, it almost looks unreal! can you post some exif data? i'd like to see it particularly the focal length and shutter speed.

Hi Tomis

Yes, it looks like a painting to me too and less like a photo, that's why I like it. A lot to do with the lens...

Here's the data for the picture:

Aperture priority mode
Focal length: 70mm
Pattern mode metering
ISO: 200
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure bias: -1.00

Cheers

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:43 pm 
Come on mr 24-70, ONE pic? We want MOOORE. Less chit chat, more shots. I'm not talking about landscape shots, I'm talking portrait, and shots that use the aperture of this lens. Show us some more pics with dof, etc. I've got to wait till mid feb to get mine as the cost of this puppy in Greece is 25% more than it currently retails for in the UK, and right now the plane tickets to pop over to the UK are too pricey meh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:44 pm 

Hi Ant,

Another great addition to the Gallery. I've added it to the index and also taken the liberty of updating the thread title to "Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED". I hope I've got it right.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Come on mr 24-70, ONE pic? We want MOOORE. Less chit chat, more shots. I'm not talking about landscape shots, I'm talking portrait, and shots that use the aperture of this lens. Show us some more pics with dof, etc. I've got to wait till mid feb to get mine as the cost of this puppy in Greece is 25% more than it currently retails for in the UK, and right now the plane tickets to pop over to the UK are too pricey meh.

You're right, it's frustrating to see one picture only when posting pics about a particular lens. I got the lens in the middle of some post-grad studies and exams, plus having to move house, so I haven't really had enough time to do some serious shooting. But I wanted to start the ball rolling about this lens, hopefully others will contribute as well. Will post more when I have something worthwhile to show.

Meanwhile, here's some initial key impressions:

- Build quality: very solid. Smooth action on the zoom and focus rings. Made in Japan. You want to hold this lens and cherish it! It makes you want to use it.

- No VR? yes, no vibration reduction. I admit this was my biggest concern about it. But after using it, I don't miss it. The zoom range is short enough that VR is not that necessary and I find I get sharp shots down to 1/60 sec. In short, if you worry about that, don't - you won't miss it.

- Sharpness. this lens is incredibly sharp. I mean, really sharp! Check it out: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... rt?start=1

- Bokeh. Smooth as melting butter. Don't judge it by the picture I posted - it was supposed to show how with a good lens the ordinary can become interesting.

- Contrast. The photos just 'pop'.

These are just subjective, quick impressions. Another feature is that is can be used on FX cameras too, so it's a good investment. In short, it's a keeper, no matter how you might look at it.

Any downsides? yes. Once you experience this kind of quality, you want more! It 'pulls' you towards the 14-24mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 to complete the triad, meaning $$$$... :shock:

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:08 pm 
Well I plan to buy this lens around feb, so it will be quite a while before I have mine. I'm also hoping the price will have gone down even more haha. I plan on buying in the Uk as it's cheaper than here, and so I'm gonna wait for the plane ticket prices to go down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm 
*edit*

Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm 
i WAANNNNTTT ONE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 pm 

66mm
f2.8
1/250th
Iso 100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:58 pm 

34mm
f4
Iso 100
1/1600

Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 pm 

24mm
f6.3
1/200
Iso 100

48mm
f6.3
1/100
Iso 100

36mm
f2.8
1/320
Iso 100

Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am 
:cry: darn you all, i was so dead set on the 70-200, but after seeing these shots and re-evaluating my actual needs, this is a very close competitor!! Of course i want both, but that isn't realistic now is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:44 pm 
There was a french market on today, as well as some university rowing clubs competing. Some shots from the day;

Life guards watch on

Fresh Strawberries

Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:12 pm 
wonderful lense =]