Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 430EX with S5IS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:20 pm 
About a month ago I ordered th 430EX external flash to go with my S5. While it's a little pricey ($230.00 US at Amazon) the combination has been terrific for me.

If anyone is interested, I have a series of images taken at the same time with the 430EX in various bounce positions at

http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny/flashtest

Each shot has the Flash data marked on it. There's no artistry here, just a camera test but it may be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John, it's nice to see compacts working with proper flashguns - I found the PowerShot G9 could deliver some really nice results with the Speedlite 580 EXII, although you did need to hold the combination a bit differently!

May I ask what you hope to use the flash for? General use, or do you have a more specific application? Be great to hear more about how you're finding the flash works with your S5 IS and specific advantages over the internal flash.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:01 am 
Gordon,

Essentially I intended to use it for "candid portraits" (not studio but not candid either) Here's an example of what I mean:

Since then, indoor uses like car shows etc have also come into play. The power of the 430EX and the light quality vs onboard flash are amazing.

I'll get at least a year of learning out of this combination at way less than half the equivalent dSLR/external flash/36-400mm package. I truly love the S5.