Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quikc note to let you know we've just published our full review of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 / ZS3 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... C_TZ7_ZS3/

This includes an HD video clip I've uploaded to Vimeo...

http://www.vimeo.com/3676507

The clip was filmed using its AVCHD Lite (720p / 30fps) movie mode at the highest 17Mbit/s bit rate. Vimeo can't accept the camera's native MTS files, so I used Adobe Media Encoder to convert it to an MP4 file using the same frame size, frame rate and H.264 compression.

The clip demonstrates the camera's ability to optically zoom the lens while filming, although it also shows AF issues during the process. It's possible to avoid this searching by disabling CAF and Pre-AF, although you may subsequently find the subject gradually becomes out of focus as you adjust the zoom.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:21 pm 
Thanks for that,Gordon.
Really looking forward to the TZ7 review.
I have the old TZ2 and thinking about an upgrade.

Is that correct that the lower spec TZ6 has no video mode at all?

It will be interesting to compare the new Canon 12x zoom to the Panasonic 12x model.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi TZ2, from my forthcoming review!

Note: like previous generations, the TZ7 / ZS3 were launched alongside a cheaper sister model, the TZ6 / ZS1. Both models share the same body, 12x optical zoom and 10.1 Megapixel effective resolution, but the TZ6 / ZS1 has a smaller and less detailed 2.7in / 230k screen and lacks the HD movie recording, HDMI port and the ability to maintain the angle of view when shooting at different aspect ratios.

So yes, it still has video, just not in HD. The best quality video mode it has is WVGA: 848 x 480 pixels at 30 fps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 am 
Site Admin

PS - the review is now ready, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... C_TZ7_ZS3/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 am 
As always, great review Gordon! Too bad Panny did not implement the self-timer with face detection that the Cannon G10 has, and the upcoming SX200IS will have. The TZ7 seems like a slight improvement over the TZ5. I thought about waiting to get the TZ7 or SX200IS, but I ended up picking up a TZ5 at Costco a few weeks ago for $200. It was too good to pass up (although Costco has a 3 month return policy, so I could still return the TZ5).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:30 am 
Just read the detailed review, Gordon.
Will there be a video review?

I hope Canon will send you their new model for a comparison.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 pm 
Great review!
I'd like to ask you if the HD Video has a max Length or if it depends only on memory size.
Ex.: in my TZ5 I can record only few minutes of HD video, also on a 16GB SDHC..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:09 pm 
Gordon,what were the final scores?

Thankyou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 pm 
About to recommend this camera to my brother. I have the LX3 which is more appropriate for my usage but since this has better zoom reach then it is perfect for him.

If he doesn't go for it then I'll buy it him for his Birthday. (God I hope he doesn't read this thread soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 pm 
LOL! You can always delete your post! :) The specs of the TZ7 look very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 am 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone!

TZ2 - yes, I hope to do a video tour in the next few days. And I'll also add final scores in a few days.

gianluk - as stated in the review, if you select Motion JPEG mode, the maximum length is when the file reaches 2GB. If you're using AVCHD though, Panasonic says you can keep filming until you run out of memory. Sadly I was unable to really test this as I had nothing bigger than a 2GB card to use with the camera - like others, I'd like to see what happens if you feed it a 16 or 32GB card!

As noted in the review, there's also a 15 minute clip limit for European models due to tax reasons - ie, any longer and its classed as a camcorder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:18 am 
Hi everybody!
I'm brand new on this discussion forum :)
Thank you Gordon for a nice review! I have been watching for this new TZ7 and i'm pretty sure that i'm going to buy one. I have one question: What about the memory card? I have seen some comments about the TZ5 and problems with video recording because of too slow memory cards (even with a class 6). Gordon, what kind of memory card did you use when taking the TZ7 video clip?
I have planned to buy a Transcend 8gb class 6 memory card. Is it good enough for sure?
Thank you!

/PanaFan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 am 
Gordan, I believe uses a Class 4.

Class 6, SDHC 8 gig is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:20 pm 
Cheers Gordon.
Look forward to the video too.

Im still very happy with the TZ2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm 
Gordon, the shutter release button is very close to the mode dial, did this make it a bit akward having to put your finger over the mode dial to press the release?

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next