Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 pm 

grahamnp wrote:
DD_nVidia wrote:
I get what you mean about stability.

But i manage to crash macs >_< That and kernal panics LOL!

I dunno, i think im just jynxed tbh!

I get more kernel panics than BSODs but it helps that kernal panics are far more attractive to look at. 8)

I've never actually had a BSOD with Windows, I've had just about everything else though.

That happens with every computer system in the world if you're unlucky. Mac's aren't really more stable than windows, but Apple likes to say so ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 am 
Orsan Kart wrote:
same here, the reason i went mac was that i needed a system the was stable ad crash proof (mainly for my music production)

I wouldn't go so far as to say "crash proof". I have a friend that spent $10,000 on a mac pro to run Pro Tools in his recording studio.

I'm amazed at how often he complains to me about various problems he has with it. I'd call a corrupted main drive a "crash". The recent (last week) death of one of his dual LCD's isn't really a crash...but Macs aren't exactly as infallible as a lot of Mac users seem to tout.

Preference is preference, however. I prefer Windows systems, but also think Macs are nice.

I think one reason people hear about more PC issues than Mac would be the sheer numbers of users. Even now 90+% of systems are running a Microsoft OS.

As an example, if you were to take 100 BMW 325's. 90 Red ones and 10 black ones. These are brilliantly designed and reliable cars. I'm willing to bet that more problems will be reported with the Red ones. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:10 am 
Citruspers wrote:
That happens with every computer system in the world if you're unlucky. Mac's aren't really more stable than windows, but Apple likes to say so ;)

I wasn't trying to go against whatever it is Apple claims or what other Mac users like to think about their machines. It just so happens that I've never had that particular problem with Windows. However, from experience, I can say that Macs are far more stable than Windows machines, that is true for the machines I have used. My Mac has crashed 4 times, twice from my Razer mouse (ridiculously high polling rate that Macs don't like), once from my printer (yea Macs don't seem to like my USB devices) and once more when Windows crashed in VMware. Compared to my experience with Windows, that's very rare. My windows machine however, has had me work it's inconsistencies and unreliability into the way I use the computer. You will notice that autosave functionality in apps native to the Mac is relatively poor while Windows apps do this very well. 8) I kinda miss it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 am 
Of course there are a lot more variables than just my simple analogy regarding sheer numbers of machines.

It's my opinion that there was indeed a time that a Mac could outperform a PC for certain things, but now the platforms have very much grown closer together in what they can do.

One thing a Mac has in its corner is the proprietary thing. Machines running an OS designed to run on that machine. There are far more varieties of PCs.

Since installing Vista Ultimate...and now on to Windows 7, I've had ONE crash. One of my RAM modules was the cause, however, not Vista.

Both platforms have come a looooong way, and both are better than ever now.