Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Are You a Mac or a PC?
OS X 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
Windows 57%  57%  [ 40 ]
Both 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Neither, I run Linux 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 70
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:06 pm 

I like XP.

I know linux is harder, better, faster & stronger :lol:

I just like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\My Documents

I like how things are layed out on the drive. No BS

None of this "home" pash

There is a folder for system stuff, "Windows" A folder for Programs "Program Files" and one for all user documents "Documents and Settings" - How simple is that! Now if everyone else used that layout, i'd be soo happy i'd use ANY OS. I've orgonised my stuff like that since 95 (3.11 i only vaugely but happily remember!) and really, im not a young gun any more, im 18 damn it, and its to late now.

BTW totally agree with the layering thing, the foundations of NT were great at the time, but we are asking those foundations to support to much now!

A shakeup of the Registry (get rid of it?) a more modular kernal lke linux so systems that are used for specific purposes can be fine tuned, oh and a option for XP icons and Windows 2000 theme? haha!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 pm 

DD_nVidia wrote:
There is a folder for system stuff, "Windows" A folder for Programs "Program Files" and one for all user documents "Documents and Settings" - How simple is that! Now if everyone else used that layout, i'd be soo happy i'd use ANY OS. I've orgonised my stuff like that since 95 (3.11 i only vaugely but happily remember!) and really, im not a young gun any more, im 18 damn it, and its to late now.

Windows: cd c:\users\documents and settings\administrator
Linux: cd /home (or cd ~)

Sorry, but linux is a bit more clear lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:52 pm 
Pgtips - Thanks for such a comprehensive Reply. I was writing in the context of average User usability - few Users are software engineers or programmers. So many Windows Users think that Linux is hard to use and still is mostly run from CLI. I might also make the point that in Australia Windows has 98% of home PCs - mostly pirated XP-Pro. Mac has 1.5% - Macs are very expensive here, and even more expensive for servicing and repairs. Linux is in the 0.5% "other" along with BeOS, Amiga and BSD. And, mentioning BSD - I've made the point here that recent Mac systems are based on Berkley Unix. I did say that Linux is modular - not that other systems are not. However, having *.dlls and *.exes doesn't make a stack system modular.

> Kernels - yes, as a software engineer you're correct, of course. I meant that, to the average User - a new Distro release has a "newly" rebuilt and upgraded kernel to suit the new system. And yes, Linux Distros such as PCLinuxOS do have alternative Kernels listed in Synaptic. As you say, most Users would never think of replacing the "default" that came with the release of the version of the Distro. However, there is a "Multimedia" version of PCLOS, which uses a reworked kernel - that better suits LiVES and Cinelerra, the best video-editors in Linux. You can use that kernel in the Desktop version if you wish.

> I frequently work between apps transferring images, diagrams, text, and text-frames between them. If you try to do that on the same Desktop, like Windows - yes, there will be glitches. Linux isn't designed to be Single-Desktop, though. Put each app on its own Desktop and use the mouse-wheel to "roll" instantly between them. Select in an app on one Desktop, hit Ctrl > C, to Copy, flip to the app on another Desktop - click the cursor where you want the Copied item - and hit Ctrl > V to Paste. Easy, foolproof, and very fast.

I understand that you were referring to Windows with its single Desktop, then trying to do the same with a Single Desktop in Linux

> I agree about the computer security - if not correctly configured it won't work properly... I'm using a properly set up version of Shorewall - and have had no problems whatever. That does include using the current version of Flash. Average Users who need a GUI setup to configure their firewall properly can install GuardDog or FireStarter in a few clicks from Synaptic.

> I started out on a Genuine IBM Twin-Slotter (no HDD or TSR apps) - in 1983. After an injury I retrained as a Tech and did that from 1992 onwards. I've been on disability since 2005.

> Having Teched Windows from 3.x to XPs - I do have a reasonable idea of the problems Users have with those systems. Linux with its standard of three main partitions, / (root), Swap, and /home (can be further partitioned) - is far easier to manage.

> The Ext defrag tool is for the semi-jouralling (like NT), Ext2fs filesystems. Ext3fs and the new Ext4fs are both fully journalling - they "map" on shutdown, and reset and defrag where needed on each startup. Defrag-tools hasn't been needed since the start of Ext3fs.

> For editing video, the basics can be done with Avidemux - the Linux version is rather better than the Windows one. From there on I use Cinelerra - in PCLOS LiVES is rather slow.

> Photo-editing - while Gimp is improving - check the latest version, it doesn't do everything as well as it might. The PCLOS Distro Team tweaks Wine to work very well with this Distro - so while I get joshed for not using Gimp all the time - being a Photoshopper from P/S-4 in the mid 1990s - I tend to retreat to Photy quite often. It runs very well in Wine - or you can use CodeWeaver's CrossOver Linux Pro, too.

>> Thanks again for the detailed Reply - I wish more would do the "debate" sorts of Replies that well...!

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 am 
oldwarbler wrote:
However, having *.dlls and *.exes doesn't make a stack system modular.

You must have a very different meaning of modular then. DLLs are modules. YVendors are free to push out upgrades in DLLs without affecting the rest of the system. How on earth is that not modular?

What is this "stack" system you're referring to? I can think of many meanings for that word (pity it's such an overloaded word with multiple meanings) but I can't think of one that would apply only to Windows in the context of an operating system.

Quote:
> Kernels - yes, as a software engineer you're correct, of course. I meant that, to the average User - a new Distro release has a "newly" rebuilt and upgraded kernel to suit the new system.

Whether or not the kernel is fully recompiled is irrelevant to any user. In addition to that, any software that is released is _always_ compiled from scratch in a clean environment. I still fail to see why this is even being mentioned?

Quote:
And yes, Linux Distros such as PCLinuxOS do have alternative Kernels listed in Synaptic. As you say, most Users would never think of replacing the "default" that came with the release of the version of the Distro. However, there is a "Multimedia" version of PCLOS, which uses a reworked kernel - that better suits LiVES and Cinelerra, the best video-editors in Linux. You can use that kernel in the Desktop version if you wish.

That's because on you don't need any of that on Windows and OS X and any other sensibly designed OS. No one I know has bothered to compile their own kernel or swap out the default kernel since the 2.4.x days.

Quote:
I understand that you were referring to Windows with its single Desktop, then trying to do the same with a Single Desktop in Linux

No I was not. To see an example of how shoddy copy and paste is handled, open up a PDF in Evince. Select some text. Copy it and then paste it into OpenOffice. You get screwed up formatting. Why does this happen? Because Linux lacks a unified clipboard format. Unix people in general are so fond of arguing over desktops that they're not interested in sitting down and working out some basic usability issues. Those who do try are labelled "interface Nazis" (e.g. GNOME developers) for dumbing things down too much, etc.

Quote:
> I agree about the computer security - if not correctly configured it won't work properly... I'm using a properly set up version of Shorewall - and have had no problems whatever. That does include using the current version of Flash. Average Users who need a GUI setup to configure their firewall properly can install GuardDog or FireStarter in a few clicks from Synaptic.

That still doesn't protect you from cross platform exploits that make use of Flash.

Quote:
> The Ext defrag tool is for the semi-jouralling (like NT), Ext2fs filesystems. Ext3fs and the new Ext4fs are both fully journalling - they "map" on shutdown, and reset and defrag where needed on each startup. Defrag-tools hasn't been needed since the start of Ext3fs.

Journalling has nothing to do with filesystem fragmentation. Can we please drop this now?

Quote:
> For editing video, the basics can be done with Avidemux - ...
...so while I get joshed for not using Gimp all the time - being a Photoshopper from P/S-4 in the mid 1990s - I tend to retreat to Photy quite often. It runs very well in Wine - or you can use CodeWeaver's CrossOver Linux Pro, too.

That says a lot more about the ideological mindset of most Linux users than it does about the usability of the Linux desktop. It works if you're after the truly basic, but once you need a more complete and complex package (like basic 16 bit support, which is important to photographers) you end up running programs in Wine. Or you get told to shut up and go modify the source code.

Don't get me wrong. Linux may work for some people as a desktop, and that's all well and good. However, the majority of people browsing this forum are not interested in computers. They are _photographers_ and Linux support for photography is _really bad_ compared to the Mac and even Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm 
Pgtips - Okay, you're probably right about time and place, so I'll take the hint - Linux is a bit off-topic here.

Thanks for the explanatory replies, though.

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm 

mac and osx are Linux certified and work wonderfully for photography, infact 9 out of 10 pro studios run Apple systems for editing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:33 pm 
I've been running Win 7 for about 2 months now and it is easily my favorite MS OS to date now that I'm used to it.

I've always been into DIY systems, as I can put exactly what I want in the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:57 am 
I run both system ( Mac & Window ) all the time :roll: