Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First attempts in HDR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm 
Hi everyone i recently got fond of HDR and decided to share with you guys,enjoy,any comments and feedback are welcome!!!

Ocean city,MD beach

Destin,Fl

Toys

London

Ocean City,MD

Ocean City,MD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:59 pm 
What is the benifit of HDR ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:31 pm 
lomer18 wrote:
What is the benifit of HDR ???

Well some pictures look better on HDR, some don't, it depends.One of the downsides of HDR pics is that there is too much noise and i don't think the pics will look good when printed,although never printed one so far,i should try i guess :),but like i said i'm new in this area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:24 pm 

In my opinion, the photos of London and the Ocean City beach are the most successful by far, particularly the latter. This is very subjective, however, as I believe HDR is best utilized for enhancing the colour of a photo while maintaining a realistic appearance. I'm just not fond of the "dreamy," over-processed look.

The photo of the horses, for example, is a great shot, but the HDR makes it look unreal- more like a painting than a photograph. Were you auto-bracketing exposures, or did you make these from a single RAW file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:43 pm 
Strangely the horses one is my favorite but it's way over saturated and a little heavy on the HDR settings as well for my taste.

I did a little playing with that file and came up with this (if you want me to take it down just PM me and I will do so - PM will be quicker as I don't get much time on here lately).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:21 pm 
Thanks guys,i agree with you,like i said i'm a rookie at this.
jaxzwolf,only the pics withs the toy cars are on auto-bracketing,all others are from a single, not even raw ,file :(

Mark,i don't mind at all,the way you edited it is more realistic :),more like a picture,mine truly is a bit like painting.And than again i think i should start shooting in RAW.
Thanks again for the feedback

regards,
leo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:52 pm 
lomer18 - For those just getting starting on HDR - or wanting to see if it's for them, the HDR Labs folk have a fairly neat app to get started with. It's Freeware, and has quite a few functions - though of course, not like the pro applications. It's standalone, so doesn't need Photoshop or Gimp.

> The Site has some very nice examples of the results, an FAQ, and explanations. I think it's at least worth a look.

> My current camera - Fuji S2000HD, which being a newby to anything above P&S on Auto, I bought for the "movie" functions, not knowing the "proper functions" to look for - like Aperture Priority, which it doesn't have, can only do -1 to +1 EV, in 1/3 increments, so is not really enough for HDR.

> I think I'll be getting a Canon SX10 IS - which is a lot better than the Fuji on the photos-functions. That has +2 to -2 EV - and the bracketing point is pre-settable - which will at least give me some play with HDR, even if the range is nowhere near to DSLR.

> The above Site does show that +2 to -2 EV is at least "workable". It's at:

Ref: > www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/ <

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:08 am 

The waves you captured in the first picture are just great! They are alive.

regards,
HTG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 pm 
I Pick Pic #2,3 & the last one look nice as HDR Attempted. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:15 pm 
The vogue for HDR has fallen over the recent months. It was a hot technique last year.

The problem with fashionable trends in post-processing work is that many assume it can be used as a broad-brushstroke across all their images; it just simply isn't. Some images work better for HDR than others, and the best way to judge what works better is through the dynamic range you're capturing. If it's narrow, there's not much point to perform HDR. Conversely if you're finding you need an ND grad to narrow that dynamic range, it's a candidate.

Just my thoughts, and thanks for sharing your images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:30 am 
Hi leo_bg,

I'm all for a wide dynamic range, but not usually very fond of pictures that look like HDR-pictures. Just my taste. But that last one of the beach fence is gorgeous! It has a wide dynamic range, but it's not too heavy-handed.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers :-)