Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Crumpler Bag Help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:42 am 
OK, I'm going to be emigrating to Oz in a few months and will be spending up to 6 months travelling around.

At the moment all I have camera wise is an A200 with 18-250 lens, Gorlliapod SLR Zoom with Manfrotto 484RC2 ballhead and a few filters. I'd like to have them all in a smallish bag to take out with me when I don't want my backpack and also to keep them all together when not outside.

I can roll the Gorillapod into a ball to reduce its size and I end up with this:-

A200 with 18-250 - 14cm W x 12cm H x 17cm D
Gorillapod Curled Up - 12cm W x 15cm H x 14cm D

Any idea what size bag would fit this? Muffin Top 4000 or 5500 as I'd prefer the 4000 but can't find them anywhere in stores to check the sizes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 am 
the 5500 Muffin Top can carry a SLR with 2-3 extra lenses and accessories

the 4000 muffin top can carry a SLR with an attached short zoom lens.
Plus two additional lens and small accessories.

4000 Dimensions: 27.5 x 20.5 x 15.0 cm
5500 Dimensions: 32.0 x 21.0 x 15.0 cm

according to these specs i googled i'd say the 4000 would do you just fine. the difference doesn't seem to be a big gap. do you plan on adding to your kit anytime soon? if so I'd say go for the larger just in case, unless you don't want to carry your whole kit in one bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 am 
Thanks for your help with this.

I was looking at the 4000 but I just have a sneaky feeling it might end up being too small. I recently brought a Muffin Top Half Photo backpack and its going on eBay soon as I was amazed how little I could fit in it. My A200 with the 18-250 seems quite large now so I may end up with the 5500 just in case for the extra length.

Don't plan on adding anything extra to it for a while but you never know eh :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm 
Just for completeness sake I thought I'd reply.

Got myself a Muffin Top 4000 the other day and it JUST fits my A200 with 18-250 and my Gorlliapod SLR Zoom & Manfrotto 484RC2 ballhead on it. Its VERY snug but it all fits.

Sold my Crumpler Muffin Top Half backpack on fleabay and picked up a North Face Surge backpack which fits my laptop great and I can also get the Muffin Top 4000 in the main compartment so I'm happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update - hope your stay in Aus works out! (ironically, you'll be heading to the home of Crumpler)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 am 
yea the crumpler bags are usually a lot smaller than you'd expect. I bought the messenger boy maxi 5500 (same thing as the muffin top, just different colors I think) and I fit my 50D with 17-55mm attached + additional lens (for instance 70-200 f/4 IS) + a flash if really needed. I could probably stuff it up even more but then I'm not confident that everything is well padded.

the material etc. is gorgeous btw.