Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kenko vs. Hoya filters
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 am 
I was curious about reports that Kenko and Hoya were the same company as I have noticed other posters were as well. So I emailed the Canadian distributor of Hoya filters today and asked him to clear up the confusion about Kenko and Hoya filters and this was his response (below). Keep in mind I'm not sure if he in fact distributes Kenko as well so there could be some bias but I have asked the same question of the parent company THK but have not yet received a reply. I will post it if I get one..........

In response to your inquiry, yes, there is quite a bit of confusion about these 2 brands.

They are in fact owned by the same parent company in Japan – THK Photo Corporation.

Our information from the factory states that the optical quality of the Hoya branded filters is superior. There are also stronger metals used in the Hoya filter ring, as well as a superior method of securing the actual glass filter within the ring. This information of course as it relates to an equivalent type and family/series of Kenko filter.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Vice President
Merchandise
DayMen Photo Marketing LP
55 Valleywood Drive
Markham, ON L3R 5L9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:36 am 
This is not quite a review.

From experience, there's little difference between these two filter manufacturers. And it's not surprising why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:47 pm 
Not a review, true enough. Nevertheless, the information will be of interest to those who didn't already know about the connection between Kenco & Hoya (I didn't) and especially to those considering the purchase of quality filters (I am). I don't see a more appropriate section in which to post it. Let me say "thank you" Steveston even if others don't seem to appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 pm 
pip22 wrote:
Not a review, true enough. Nevertheless, the information will be of interest to those who didn't already know about the connection between Kenco & Hoya (I didn't) and especially to those considering the purchase of quality filters (I am). I don't see a more appropriate section in which to post it. Let me say "thank you" Steveston even if others don't seem to appreciate it.

pip22, this could be better posted in the: "Other cameras and lenses" or "DSLR Tips" section. And I'll gloss over your snide remark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:19 pm 

Hi Steveston,

Thanks for the information. This thread doesn't quite qualify as a User Review so I've moved it across to the Off-topic section which is a catch-all for photography related subjects which don't naturally fit in the other sections.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 pm 

Photoj wrote:
. And I'll gloss over your snide remark.

Hey Ed, I'll gloss over your next snide remark as well ;)

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Right, that's it! No more snide remarks from anyone!

Thanks Steveston for the info, and thanks photoj for suggesting the post gets moved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 pm 
Thanks a lot "Steveston" for the information.
I am considering a UV filter for my new camera, and looked at Kenko, but now that you mention it, a Hoya might be worth the extra cash!
Will look into this further....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:55 pm 
I received a response from THK and have attatched it below, I was a little surprised and in fact forwarded the first attached comment on to them .

Same company, same quality. The difference is that in Japan, Hoya filters are ONLY sold under the Kenko brand name, while elsewhere in the world, Hoya is the name everyone sees.

While some companies here in the US sell Kenko filters, they are identical to Hoya.

Glenn Nash
Technical Service Representative
THK Photo Products[/b]