Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:50 pm 

Hi Gordon (and everyone) - just wanted to say thank you for this website. Your excellent reviews really helped me in my decision to get an Olympus E400. I think I got a bit of a bargain - the 2 lens kit, with a leather bag and 1gb CF card, plus a few other trinkets for £599. Unfortunately, buying the camera meant buying the tripod, and then the polarising filter, and then another memory card, and a card reader... It's an expensive hobby!

There's a petition on the Downing Street website which might be of interest. It's proposed that photography in public places should be made illegal without a permit or ID card... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi Pete, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

That sounds like a great deal you got on your E-400 - the twin lens kit is really nice, and the anti-dust system works so well you won't feel bad switching the lenses as often as you like. Let us know how you get on with it, and post any questions - or tips - in the technique forums.

As for the petition, it really saddens me we live in this kind of society - although it's not a new paranoia by any means. Almost anyone who's into astronomy for example has long got used to being regarded with suspicion and asked what they're doing up so late at night when they should be going to the pub or cinema!

The good news is once you show a member of the public - or even the police! - what you're doing they generally lighten-up and often show a genuine interest. I guess photographers may have to get used to showing concerned passers-by what they're taking photos of. If we can then get them all enthused about buying DSLRs and contributing to the Cameralabs forums, that wouldn't be such a bad result...!

Gordon

Post subject: Gov Petition
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:28 pm 

Pete_VN52 wrote:

There's a petition on the Downing Street website which might be of interest. It's proposed that photography in public places should be made illegal without a permit or ID card... :shock:

Nothing surprises me any more. I have two young children and we were prevented from videoing or taking photos at the Christmas school play because one of the parents complained at the last minute. Luckily the school has offset this for futre by getting a signed disclaimer from each parent or the child can't take part, but we in turn have to sign to say we won't sell or publish the pictures.

I know that there are (more than we might care to think) people with bad motivs but the majority once again pay for the crimes of a few. And by and large, its the few who don't stop anyway!