Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:14 am 
Does anyone know of a program that I can quickly and simply resize my astro CR2 images with and have them automatically saved as JPG, I would prefer free software but am willing to pay.

As I have hundreds of images to resize and save as JPG doing it manually is time consuming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:25 am 

Hi Kenk,

Welcome to the Camera Labs forum.

An interesting question. You mention CR2 - have you invested in a modified EOS 20D or 30D (IR filter removed) or do you use an off the shelf model?

I haven't needed to do such a large number of conversions (yet) but I did this Google Search. The first result was ABLE BATCH CONVERTER 2.7 which seems to solve your problem even though it isn't free. I have no idea how good the RAW converter routines are so it may be that for the "keepers" you may still want to use your existing software.

By the way, that Google search provides links to loads of sites whch McAfee SiteAdvisor flags as containing malware. Not surprising as most shareware sites do contain such but do make sure you check out any programs you download before you install.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:17 pm 
I have an off the shelf 400D so far it seems to be a good camera for astro pics, I use it prime focus with an F6.3 focal reducer attached also.

Thanks for the welcome and the link, I will install that program and have a play with it.
I will let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:46 pm 
Hi Kenk
Nice gallery - I like it very very much :P
Also all your pics from the 300mm ?

Guess it pays to have 8" or larger telescope huh ?
Must have been huge investment though :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:17 am 
I have had a play around with Able Batch Converter and well it is slow, slow to the point where I simply dont want to use it.
It does have some good features that I did like, such as the ability to also rename the files and also resize the canvas.
It also ignored the fact that I told it to output to C:\ and instead put the resized image into the folder containing the original file.

So I am still searching through google for suitable software.

Nearly all of the images in my gallery are from the 8" meade, there are a few that were done just with the camera and a 300mm lens.
I have some more to add to the gallery that were done with the ED80 scope but haven't got around to doing it.

And yes, astronomy can be an expensive hobby :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kenk, very nice photos! Especially the planetary ones...

As you're into astro-photography, I wondered if you'd seen our video about using Live View to help focusing on a telescope?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... aphy.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 am 
Indeed I have looked :)
But currently such a camera is out of my price range, maybe next year when they drop in price a bit.

And after trying many image resizing programs over the weekend I have finally found what I am after, and the best bit is that it is free so its just the right price.

It is a program called VSO image resizer ( http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/ ) and is exactly the tool I was after. Quick and simple just how I like it.

There is one other software they have (I found it on there news page and its also free) that looks promising also, called Photoonweb, maybe useful to some people here. I plan to make a test gallery with it and will let you know how it goes, for me it would be better then the php gallery that requires constant php updates which I hate doing.
Link to it is http://www.photoonweb.com/en/

Sorry if I sound like an ad but things that are good and free should be used by everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:45 am 

Hi Kenk,

Great news that you found a solution and thanks for sharing it.

kenk wrote:
...Sorry if I sound like an ad but things that are good and free should be used by everyone :)

Not a problem. Forum member's recommendations are welcome but, as you might guess, individuals who join simply to promote commercial interests are not welcome at all. :evil:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:30 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Not a problem. Forum member's recommendations are welcome but, as you might guess, individuals who join simply to promote commercial interests are not welcome at all. :evil:

Bob.

As well that is how it should be :)

Well I made a new gallery but its not as it should have been, the original one I was making was lost due to a power outage which really peeved me off as I had put a lot of time into it...

Any how the link to it is http://albums.photoonweb.com/kenk/Astro_Gallery/
I do plan to redo it but will wait till the power outages have ceased.

And for anyone wondering what I use to process most of my pictures, I use a program called Registax, its free and very good at stacking images.
You can get it from http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

Post subject: Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 am 

Hi Kenk,

That astro gallery is impressive. It would be lovely if you could find time to write a post describing step by step how you produce some of your shots, both at the telescope and on the PC. My only suggestion for the gallery would be to include a brief note of how each image was produced. Something like Telescope/Lens, Camera, Exposure time, ISO setting (for DSLRs), Number of exposures used if stacked.

So far I have been using IRIS. I have a feeling I have only scratched at the surface of this program as soe of its best tricks are only accessible from the command line window the program provides. It's free, which is great, but the documentation is difficult to get to grips with as it is all contained in the "Tutorial" section about two thirds of the way down the page linked to above.

Christian's home page is a very useful resource as well. Recommended.

I used to suffer from power outages here but not any more. Uninterruptble Power Supplies (UPS) are pretty reasonably priced these days. Not only do they protect your data but also protect your hardware against voltage spikes. One note of caution however: if you are tempted to buy one then add up the maximum wattages of all the equipment it will protect and then add 50% to that value to discover what VA rating you need. This is how at least one manufacturer specifies their UPSes - remember that Volts times Amps doesn't equal Watts when the Volts and Amps waveforms aren't in phase. :shock:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:06 pm 
Great gallery Kenk
But as Bob pointed out - it would have been even better with some technical details
Please do update them. :D
PS and do keep them pics coming if you have the time !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:45 am 
The original gallery that I lost due to a power outage was a lot bigger and had all the image details for each image, I do intend to redo it as soon as I get the time.