Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:30 am 
So I just got this camera (Christmas), it's a Nikon D60 (kit), and I have already spent the past 10 hours experimenting with it, taking long exposures and all that stuff. Thanks to Gordon's videos on youtube, I almost know how to use the thing and felt pretty familiar with it right out of the box. I have also been playing with one of my friends' Nikon D40x. So that's my little introduction.

Now! What I really came here for; after trying to get the awesome red streak effect on traffic using long exposure (3 seconds), I noticed that no matter how hard I tried, I kept getting camera shake. Can anyone recommend a really basic and inexpensive tripod I could get?

Thanks,
A. Morningstar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 pm 
I am First-time DSLR user.

I took pictures of closer-up things, flowers, sunset, backyard, birds, small animals, and small landscape.

Help me find strong tripod.
http://www.adraycamera.com/-tripods.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:09 pm 
If you want a basic and cheap tripod look no further than your local supermarket! You can pick up a tripod that will suffice for a light camera and infrequent use. I got one from Aldi for £10. If you intend using a tripod regularly and want one that will withstand the rigours of outdoor use and last a long time then you will have to spend some real money and get a pro-grade tripod from Velbon, Giotto or Manfrotto. There are other brands but these seem to be the market leaders. Look in some photo mags and you may see some special offers on discontinued lines which will certainly be more than adequate for your needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:31 pm 
What is inexpensive to you?

$30, $100, $300?

I fell into this same scenario not long ago and originally balked at the idea of spending over $100 on a tripod... I ended up doing just that and glad I did.

My setup is a Manfrotto 190 legs with 488 ball head and I'm glad I have it.

Buy once, enjoy forever 8)

Buy 'cheap' and that is what you'll get... something made for a point and shoot isn't going to hold up to your D60 and you'll find yourself replacing a $300 or more body or lens before long because it couldn't support the weight.