Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:11 am 
My 52mm UV filter stays on better than the lens cap does. :lol:

There are no threads, but after screwing it on, it seems to work fine. It's level all the way around the lens and I feel better having it on even if the barrel isn't threaded.

The rings are concentric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:56 pm 
I think I'll wait for an adapter then mess with the barrel.I don't wanna damage it.
maybe raynox will make one.
I'll order one from e-bay or something.Here they're still selling S5 and Pana FZ18.
I didn't find any stores that have filters either but I'm not giving up yet :)

P.S.:Have posted some new pictures on my sig.blog page from a trip to a thermal resort(being a noob I can't seem to be able to post them here-sorry)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:41 pm 
Lensmate has opened the pre-order for a 58mm filter holder for the SX10, made of delrin.

http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html

15 usd, what does the cameralabs crew think? Is it worthy? I've been craving for a filter after having a not too happy experience with seabreeze and tiny droplets in the huge lens. Any recommendations on a filter/polarizer?

I also like the sun hood... anyone knows of a 58mm hood to recommend? About the Canon hood becoming useless when the adapter is taking its place on the bayonet mount, the site says: "There are other wide-angle hoods that can be used in its place. This type threads into the filters thread, or directly to the filter holder." Does this mean that you can thread a hood into the filter itself, effectively mounting both the filter and the hood at the same time? I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right, or if excitement and consumism is getting ahold of me.

I'll be importing this from Argentina, so if I can pick the lens and hood from lensmate and save on shipping, much better.

Thanks!

Post subject: thank you lensmate!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm 
thanx for the great news!
our prayers have been answered
can't wait to get it shiped over seas to me :lol:
I'll start searching for a lens hood now

...and thanx Gordon for the great review of the SX1 is.We really apreciate your efforts.
I still think I've made a good choice getting the SX10 is (I take low noise/price over faster shooting and HD video).
I'm more of a imaging guy.
"one picture speaks more than a thousand words" ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks antipropho, glad you liked it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 am 
Anyone thinks it might be possible to correct the chromatic aberrations that the SX10 sometimes suffers with a filter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 am 
Wow. Grt to have a filter holder at last. Now all we need are good uv and polarising filters. BTW, since canon has officially anounced RAW availability with their upcoming firmware update, it's obvious that it is quite possible to achieve the same on the SX10 as well. But the big question is whether canon at all intends to give us that. I hope I'm not the only SX10 owner who feels that it's absolutely unjust to ignore our needs as well. So dear fellow SX10 owners, do protest. Democracy isn't just about oil, is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:29 am 
Julian wrote:
Anyone thinks it might be possible to correct the chromatic aberrations that the SX10 sometimes suffers with a filter?

Try power retouche.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 am 
R0Y.1 wrote:
BTW, since canon has officially anounced RAW availability with their upcoming firmware update, it's obvious that it is quite possible to achieve the same on the SX10 as well.

where can I find more about RAW on SX10? Is Canon going to give us the new firmware soon?
We sure could use it to remove the fringing at least ...
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:51 am 
Quote:
Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 18 February 2009: Canon announces an exciting add-on for its celebrated PowerShot SX1 IS digital compact camera: firmware that allows users to capture images in RAW format.

Owners of the PowerShot SX1 IS will be able to download a firmware update which gives them the option of shooting images in high-detail, unprocessed RAW format. This is ideal for photographers seeking control over key image parameters after they shoot – rather than before.

Plus, for powerful, intuitive post-production, users of the PowerShot SX1 IS can also download Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software. This high-speed RAW editor lets users adjust key settings, such as white balance, exposure compensation and sharpness before conversion to JPEG.

The firmware will be available for download from mid-March. PowerShot SX1 IS owners should check http://web.canon.jp/imaging/BeBit-e.html for information and availability. Digital Photo Professional will also be available to download from the Canon BeBit site.

found this and hope someone(if not canon) will make it work on the SX10 to. I can't wait :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 am 
antipropho wrote:
R0Y.1 wrote:
BTW, since canon has officially anounced RAW availability with their upcoming firmware update, it's obvious that it is quite possible to achieve the same on the SX10 as well.

where can I find more about RAW on SX10? Is Canon going to give us the new firmware soon?
We sure could use it to remove the fringing at least ...
[/b]

I meant the update of sx1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:21 pm 
R0Y.1, I realised that after searching around today...

here's my moon shot with the SX10is (no crop,just resized)

100mm(560mm equiv) x4digital
f/5.7
1/125 sec
ISO 80

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm 
antipropho wrote:
R0Y.1, I realised that after searching around today...

here's my moon shot with the SX10is (no crop,just resized)

100mm(560mm equiv) x4digital
f/5.7
1/125 sec
ISO 80

Wow, that is _significantly_ better than the one I posted, and our settings were fairly similar: 1/160 and F8 were the different ones. I think I even used a touch of digital zoom like you did, though I can't find that information. Can you post detailed settings (e.g., camera mode, AWB)...anything that will help me get a better idea about your setup? Did you use any post-processing software?

Cheers,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:18 pm 
Nice shot, antipropho.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm 
the dial was on full manual control:
evaluative metering
auto white balance
0 EV
manual focus set to infinith
digital zoom set to standard and maxed out(full 80x)
no flash
IS mode off(camera laying down)+ 2 sec selftimer
aperture : f/5.7
shutter speed: 1/125 sec
ISO 80(I try to stick to 80 as much as I can)

NO POST PROCESSING !(only resize) and the only thing I would change is to make the background all black(there are some random colored pixels here and there and some fringing due to high contrast)

and that's about it I gues :lol: .I took about 4-5 pictures with theese settings and got same results.Ooo, and the sky was crystal clear !

NOTE: in this case, using the digital zoom actualy helps by balancing the contrast of the composition : quantity of white(the moon) is about the same as the black(sky) - use your hystogram

You can find more pictures and settings in my blog (I only use it to post photos&settings)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next