Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:22 pm 
Hi, we have a "pre-loved" Pentax *ist DL. We have had it about a year and we are well pleased with the pictures it takes (It is not the camera's fault if I can't handle it well :wink: )

Now there appears to be a little problem, which we have had from the beginning, but it is getting more frequent.

When I try and switch the camera on, with brand new and tested batteries, it flashes the low battery sign and nothing more happens. If I am lucky, I can turn it on and off a few times and it will suddenly start working. But sometimes it just won't start.

I have reset the camera to factory settings. But that did not solve the problem. And I have cleaned the battery contacts to no avail. :roll:

:?: My question is:
Has anyone else encountered this issue? And if so, do you know what can be done about it?

As you may have guessed, the ruddy thing always does this in the most awkward moments in situations when we so want the picture and we just know we will never be able to come back to try again.

I would appreciate any tips and help please! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Margret, welcome on-board, and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

I haven't come across this problem, and you've done pretty much everything I would think of, so if it were me, I'd contact a Pentax service centre.

Since it will almost certaionly be out of warrant, be sure to compare the cost of any repair against that of a new model - you may be surprised.

The budget DSLRs I'd recommend are here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

PS - regardless of which model you end up using, check out our sister site www.dslrtips.com for some ideas on getting more out of your camera! And feel free to browse the forum and ask any questions in the relvant sections...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:34 pm 

Pretty sure it is a... TWO YEAR.... warranty.
Mine is anyway.
I had a problem with my flash.
Sent cam to Toronto and it was back in two weeks. :D

Edit in----"pre-loved" = previous owner? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:21 pm 
Thanks for your answers.

And thanks for the link to the slr tips!

Phew... Toronto is a long way from here and I bet the postage would cost half a fortune. And what's worse the post office would charge me an import fee on the return. So I guess I need to persevere some more.

Funny, I did nothing, but started using the camera more often ... every time it actually let me. It seems to be "learning" and starts more and more often :roll: :?
Now somebody explain that to me :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 am 
What battery are you using? Brand and type? Best make sure they are the ones recommended by manual.

It could be the camera is old, and something is going in there.