Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:34 pm 

Hi Gordon, Let's please see a review of the G7. It's a very hot camera, very new with very little actual reviews online. Thank you. :) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:59 pm 
+1
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys, well, that's two votes for the G7!

Elsewhere in the forum I asked if people would prefer to see a review of the Canon G7 or the A710 IS - please let us know in this thread!

Just some advance warning though - it could be a short while before I get to review either because I have a lot of other cameras lined-up right now, including some more compacts and the brand new Olympus E-400 DSLR...

Gordon

PS - Shiva, welcome to the Camera labs forums, and thanks for your kind words about my videos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:10 am 

Gordon, keep up the good work.... it's good to be on here... :) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:04 pm 
I vote for both .. cos I just love the vids 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:21 am 
I vote for a G7 review . I have the G6 and love it for slow photography of waterfalls with its built in Nd filter .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:54 am 
Site Admin

Hello everyone!

Sorry it's taken a while to come, but here's that Canon PowerShot G7 video you were after!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/CanonG7/page7.shtml

The full review is at http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/CanonG7/

Hope you like it,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:04 am 

hey man, you did it and it looks great. the video I mean. almost 9 minutes and not a boring second anywhere to be found, of course you covered a compact with unusually rich features. thanks again for covering it. :) S

PS: that bit with your friend coming in just in time to show off the F.R. was nicely done too. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Cheers Shiva! Yep, there certainly were quite a few features to cover there, and it was fun to demonstrate face detection in practice!

Look out for more reviews and videos soon...

Gordon

PS - and if there's any other cameras you'd particularly like to see reviews or videos of, let me know...

Post subject: Canon G7
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:54 pm 
Gordon - there's been a lot of hemming and hawing about this camera everywhere it's been reviewed and to some extent you seem to be on the verge of swollowing your tail with your conclusion.

To compare this camera to a Rebel digital or the Panasonic LZ50 is just a little silly. They are aimed at completely different markets. And have you tried to put a Rebel or LZ50 in your jacket pocket lately????

The only comparable camera around is the Panasonic LX2, but the zoom is shorter and it has no flash shoe - though it has some very endearing qualities like a Leica lens to 28mm and RAW. That would be a more valid comparison.

At the end of it all this is still an excellent little camera - warts and all. And the fact is that if you want a high quality pocketable compact with a long zoom, image stabelization and extended flash capability THIS IS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mogodore, thanks for your message and welcome to the Cameralabs forums.

I agree the G7 is unique in being both relatively pocketable and having a 6x optical zoom with stabilisation, and I said as much in my verdict. But of course the trouble with unique products is finding something to compare them against - and I strongly believe in comparing products in reviews.

So without any direct rivals at that price and form factor, I compared it against what are essentially the models above and below it in Canon's own range, along with what you can get for the same money. I reckon that's a fair and useful approach!

I believe the comparison with the A640 is fair because they have the same resolution, the A640 has pretty good manual control, and it also has the flip out screen which was present on the G7's predecessors - and a feature a lot of potential G-series owners will look for. I think it would be remiss not to suggest this cheaper option which essentially gives the same quality with at least one major advantage.

I believe the comparison with the 400D / Rebel XTi is fair because again the G-series were often previously bought by people as an alternative to a DSLR - so it's interesting to see how they stack up today. It's fair to say someone looking for decent creative control might start looking at a high-end compact but ultimately be better-served by a DSLR, so it's useful to illustrate the differences.

In particular, our outdoor noise results page illustrates one of the biggest image quality differences between a 10 Megapixel compact and a 10 Megapixel DSLR, and I haven't seen many other reviews do this. I think it's important to point this out as there are still a lot of people who don't know there's a big difference even when the resolution is the same.

And finally I think the comparison with the Panasonic FZ50 is valid simply because they cost the same. People may go out shopping for a pocketable camera, but there'd be few who wouldn't also check what was alternatively available at the same price.

So sure, no-ones going to put the FZ50 in a pocket, but many may be swayed to go for the larger form factor in order to enjoy a much longer 12x optical zoom and flip-out screen, not to mention RAW recording facilities.

As for the LX2, it does have many endearing qualities like RAW and 28mm, but I believe its image quality is a deal-breaker. See our Panasonic LX2 review. And of course you can open our LX2 results pages in one window and the G7 pages in another if you want to compare how they performed in various tests.

I hope that explains our choices in the review and that you still found it useful,

Are you a G7 owner yourself? If so, let us know what you think of it...

Gordon

Post subject: G7 Video capabilities
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 am 
Does G7 zoom while making video (like S3) and continuous focus. Does it have other special Video features like portrait rotate in some Canon SDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi Vinnie, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

You can adjust the G7's optical zoom before you start recording video, but not during. Like most digital compacts, the G7 only offers a digital zoom while recording video.

If you film video with the G7 in portrait orientation (on its side), the video is automatically rotated so it's always upright during playback. So if the camera is held in landscape for playback, the video is shown with black vertical bars on the left and right side. And if you hold the camera in portrait during playback, the video fills the screen.

So video on the G7 is handled just like it does still images.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mogodore, following yours and Shiva's suggestion that I compare the PowerShot G7 to the LX2, I've included new comments in the Verdict of the G7 review, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/CanonG7/page6.shtml

Gordon