Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New iMacs??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:32 pm 
From what i can see, an update to the iMac may well be due soon! As it has been said that apple are waiting for the new 'lower-priced' quadcore processors to put in the new iMacs.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/20/app ... rocessors/

Also the iMac and Mac Mini, are now the only line of computers not to feature NVIDIA graphics, (yes i am aware of the top end iMac's graphics, i mean in general!), and there is speculation, to make sure all the computers in apples line up, have decent graphics!

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/28/sno ... ittle-new/

Do you guys think this is a realistic rumour, and when do you think that the new iMac's, and Mac Mini's will be introduced, i would have thought definately this year!

Also here is a timeline of the iMacs, and you might see, that it looks like the iMacs are overdue for an update!

Timeline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_iMac
(bottom part of page)

The only reason i am digging up info, is because i am looking to buy an iMac, and they are quite alot of money, and would rather wait and buy one with quad-core, nVidia GPU and snow leopard! I have got some saving to do though!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 am 
I wouldn't trust any Apple related rumours. I'm not saying that they could never be true but they turn out to be inaccurate or just plain wrong too often.

If the iMacs end up with the integrated 9400m of the Macbooks, that will be a significant drop in GPU power from the 8800 GS and 2600XT of the previous gen versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:00 pm 

I've actually heard the same rumors from a different source; retailers.

I'm told Apple is scaling back it's production of the iMac. This action has typically been a precursor to an updated product, vis-a-vie macBook and mB P.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm 
Yep, i have heard that, i am regularly checking Mac Rumours to see what's going on, and apparently apple are going to use C2D in Lower end iMaacs and C2Q in higher ends, but we shall see! Let the waiting please stop (praying) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 pm 
I will pray for new iMac, 24" with mat screen!
though, I don't believe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 pm 

And anyone stupid enough who decides to get an apple computer like this is gonna be getting stuff we've had for ages, and have moved on from.

Core i7 smashes them all.

And I bet a OC Core i7 could hold its own against a Mac Pro in standard apps.

Besides, octo Core Xeons soon - Thats what we REALLY care about 8)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm 
Rant (sorry):
i7 against two 3.2 Ghz Xeon 'Server' class processors, hmmmmmm........ i would not have thought so! Although i am sure an i7 would beat a single 3.2 Ghz Xeon hands down! Anyway, i like macs, and Mac OS X and still think you can't get the same Mac user 'experience' on a hackintosh! Also Windows is annoying me just at the moment, although i think the Microsoft have really got on top of user experience, in terms of Aero, with 'shake' Flip 3D, i prefer those sort of things to the OS X equivalents, and one thing i don't like about Mac OS X, YOU CAN'T BLOODY CHANGE WINDOWS UNLESS THE PROGRAM IS SELECTED, that really makes me annoyed, although i am sure there is a 3rd party app that will let you do that somewhere, just got to find it!
Rant over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:09 pm 

When I use macs it annoys me quite a bit too, podgeorge. I've always used windows and I love the task bar windows has. But now I have the best of both worlds, there's third party docks that you can download so I get an OSX style dock with the task bar. Windows ftw.

Here's a screenshot:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 am 

DD_nVidia wrote:
And anyone stupid enough who decides to get an apple computer like this is gonna be getting stuff we've had for ages, and have moved on from.

Core i7 smashes them all.

And I bet a OC Core i7 could hold its own against a Mac Pro in standard apps.

Besides, octo Core Xeons soon - Thats what we REALLY care about 8)

You also are a firm believer in the RED camera's. You love high HIGH tech, don't you... :P

I like the interface of the OS X and you can still get work done on a 1.8Ghz PPC if you just take care of your rig. I'll let the animation and video guys have the expensive stuff. My overhead won't be as bad.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:19 am 

I usually buy the second best hardware possible. When the 8800GTX came out I bought the 8800GTS. When the E8500s came out I bought the E8400. I dodge the premium prices but still get excellent performance by doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:48 pm 

The thing is, I CANT get the work done on 2.8Ghz iMacs with 4GB RAM.

they are just far to damn slow.

And Yes I would be a OC'd Core i7 would storm dual quad core xeons in most applications - More Cores = Slower in some applications especially if the OS tries to make them multithreaded.

UI - They perfected it in 95. And I still use it that way, fast, doesnt take up much sapce at all and is very efficient and to the point. Thats the way i like it. The Mac OSX interface is to bulky and in the way for me and the mouse movement annoy me, feels like slo mo.

Well go get an apple keyboard and mouse, build an i7 system lob it in a Mac Pro Case, and get an Apple cinema Display.

Done.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:36 pm 
Well, how about this DD, the new Mac Pro's are rumoured (this seems realistic) to have have a configuration, of two 'Server' class i7's, now i bet you could get some work done on that :wink: Also with with quartz enabled in OS X the mouse is light speed :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm 
On Windows 7, its like what you've got, all in one!

Screenshot:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:09 pm 

Yeah I'm looking forward to Windows 7. I can't be bothered to install the Beta for now though. I'll wait till release.