Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:35 pm 
hey everybody,
I've just bought an fz18 and i notices a weird thing in almost all my pictures, they are inclined or tilted towards the left, did anybody notice anything like this with his camera?
and could there be a problem with camera itself or is it just me :D.
thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:45 pm 
I wouldn't worry about my camera if I were you. I expect the culprit to be a tendency to move your right hand down a bit when you press the shutter. Especially if you press it a bit abruptly. It's not uncommon that this happens and you will just have to be a bit more aware of this so you will be able to prevent it.

Do you shoot mostly using the viewfinder or using the LCD screen? If the latter is the case you can easily see yourself doing it by not focusing your attention on the screen while you press the shutter but on the camera as a whole. You'll see the movement of the camera you cause when pressing the shutter.

With a little practicing you'll soon lose that habit and your images will mostly be straight. It can help to turn on the grid overlay to help keep the image aligned.

Success.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:55 am 

Hi monmon238,

You can always check that it's not the camera by placing it on a horizontal surface and taking a picture of a vertical edge such as a door - use a spirit level to check the horizontal and vertical alignment. Then have a look at the result from the camera. Mind you, given modern manufacturing methods, I'd be seriously surprised if the sensor in the camera isn't properly aligned.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:30 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi monmon238,

You can always check that it's not the camera by placing it on a horizontal surface and taking a picture of a vertical edge such as a door - use a spirit level to check the horizontal and vertical alignment. Then have a look at the result from the camera. Mind you, given modern manufacturing methods, I'd be seriously surprised if the sensor in the camera isn't properly aligned.

Bob.

hey Bob,
i tried what you suggested and guess what, there is still a tilt in the picture...so does this mean that the sensor is tilted as well??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm 

monmon238 wrote:
hey Bob,
i tried what you suggested and guess what, there is still a tilt in the picture...so does this mean that the sensor is tilted as well??

Looks like it. The question is whether you want to live with it or try to arrange for a replacement camera.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 pm 
I still have a hard time imagining it would be a misaligned sensor. If you would see a level image through the viewfinder or on the LCD screen then that would be what you would get on the photo because the VF and the LCD image are coming from the sensor. If the sensor would be misaligned you would compensate for it by tilting the camera until the view through the VF or on the LCD would be level.

So I am curious as to how exactly you did this test and I would very much like to see that photo. Could you post it here in this thread?

It would also be interesting to see how photos made by other people with this camera would turn out.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:57 pm 

Cam-I-Am wrote:
I still have a hard time imagining it would be a misaligned sensor...

That's a good point, Ben. In answering the post I assumed that the camera was aligned to the horizon by using it's own external shape and/or the baseplate. By definition there can't be any misalignment between the sensor and the viewfinder/LCD.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:51 am 
Site Admin

I'd also suggest viewing the alignment grid on-screen to see if it helps line up the horizon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:22 am 
guys, the pics are tilted on the lcd and the evf and on the computer as well.....and i tested it by trying to put the camera on several balanced surfaces like the floor or a table and take a pic of a door or or anything balanced...and the result was that there was always a tilt towards the left.