Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:10 pm 
Hi! My friends advise me to buy a DSC H-50 but I love FZ28. Could you compare this two sons? Thank you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:53 am 
Yeah, I'm about in the same boat as you are. And even after playing around with both of them at the store, I still haven't made up my mind. I like the fast operation of the Sony, but the Panasonic is not far behind either in terms of performance.

Some added features of the Sony I like is the flip out screen and the night mode. Though I don't know how much I'll use any of those in practice.

The Panasonic feels great in my hand, and that 18x zoom is hard to beat :D
It also takes SD cards, which I have a lot of sitting around already.

Right know I'm leaning toward the Sony because of its fast focus and shutter speeds, but I'll probably change my mind many times before I finally get off this ride :P

If anyone out there has the Sony, let us know how you like it :D And I will continue to follow the FZ28 thread.

Best Regards
~Chris 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:16 pm 
chacchet wrote:
Hi! My friends advise me to buy a DSC H-50 but I love FZ28. Could you compare this two sons? Thank you !

I hope you don't mind my laziness, but since I already compared those two for someone on the fz thread, i'm just going to copy/paste the whole thing here -

Note that since posting that, I have become the proud owner of the fz28 & so far I haven't got a single thing to complain about in terms of the speed, performance or responsiveness of the camera!

jacen110091 wrote:
CybM wrote:
Iam waiting for the good reviews of Panasonic DMC-FZ28. I wanted to buy a Sony DSC-H50, because it has so many good features... [but] my only big problem with this camera is the chromatic noise, which is very significant unfortunately! >> thats way Iam waiting for the new Pana rewives. However the Sony DSC-H50 has better price, if the Pana will be so good I will chose Pana. OR do you think guys the chrome noise reduction can be improved with a new firmware update?

Welcome to the cameralabs forums, I am fairly new here myself but allow me to answer your queries as best as I can!

First off, it probably is a smart move to wait for the pros like Gordon to officially review the fz28 so unless you feel the need to get a camera right away, I would advise you to wait.

Now then, as CA (chromatic aberration) is a significant factor for you, the fz28 should do you justice because Panny is known as one of the best CA eliminators in this segment. And while Panasonic hasn't had a similar reputation about dealing with noise in general, the Venus IV engine is supposed to have been designed with a very keen interest in ensuring that it does indeed handle noise better than its' predecessors. Also, as far as i know CA & noise reduction algorithms are hardwired into the Image Processing Engine & cannot be upgraded by Firmware upgrades.

So all that aside, here's a basic breakdown of the key differences (as I see it) as based on spec-sheets for them both.

Panny FZ28:
Better Range {Both wide & tele} (27mm-486mm > 31mm-465mm)
Higher Resolution (10.1MP > 9.1MP)
Multi Aspect-Ratio Support (4:3, 3:2, 16:9)
Marginally Better Aperture Range (f2.8-f4.4 > f2.7-f4.5)
Uncompressed Shooting (RAW support)
High-Definition Video Recording (1280x720 30fps > 640x480 30fps)
Lighter Body (417g > 547g)

Sony H-50:
Better Pixel Density (32MP/sq cm > 36MP/sq cm)
Marginally Better Shutter Speed Range (30"-4000 > 60"-2000)
Larger & Tilt-Enabled LCD (3" 230k > 2.7" 230k)

These are all based only on the camera specifications only, so while they may not represent all that the cameras have to offer, they should give you some indication of what all you feel most closely matter to your style of photography.

For me personally, just the lack of a decent wide-end would make the H-50 out of contention but again that's my opinion & I've already ordered the fz28 so I'm bound to be a bit biased.
However, I can recommend you to consider the following cameras as well (I did) before making any decisions -

Olympus SP-570UZ
Nikon P-80
Canon S5 IS (or S6/S7/S? depending on whether they decide to announce an upgrade anytime soon)

Hope that helped...