Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DMC-FX500 or DMC-TZ5
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:42 pm 
Does anyone have opinions on which of these cameras I should get. They both look pretty good.

extra info:
-I like to go the parties (low light, action shots)
-I like to take scenery shots and I go on holidays alot
-I like to take interesting/artistic photos, for example, long exposure shots, and action shots

Any recommendations would be useful, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Do you mean the FX500? If so, I've compared them here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... dict.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:01 am 
yeah, sorry fx500. I read the comparison but I'm still undecided, what do people think is more practical, 10x zoom, or manual control with a wider shot.
(these are the main differences I can make out)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:50 am 

I've edited the thread title to correct the typo. It now starts "DMC-FX500".

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 pm 
Hello,

I just bought dmc-tz15 2 weeks ago and able to "abuse" the camera on my holiday trip to Hongkong last weekend. (took over 500 pictures and 2 video in just 3 days 2 night trip :shock: )

My opinion :
If you don't mind being slightly bulky then fx500, the 10x zoom is a must have for travel needs and you will be glad that you had bought tz15. Although fx500 wide angle is slightly more then tz15 but 28mm is already more then enough for general purpose.

Take a look at few of my photos that i've posted in flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bong_teo/2759723949/
or u can find my user name "Bong Teo" in facebook acc. (there's 4 ablum of photo and 2 video, all were shot using tz15)

Those pictures that i've posted will let you visualise how far is 10x able to zoom in and some comparision between night scene shot, starry sky shot and manual shot of the beautiful Hongkong city @ The Peak.

As for the full manual control, i guess it won't help much if you want to take pictures in a pub/party cos most probably you will be setting the camera in auto mode.

As for full manual control for night shots, i would think tz15 would do a nice job confidently as long as you play around with it's built in settings.

Hope all this can clear your doubt :)

If happen that you have a facebook acc and had already watch my video which i took it in Hongkong disneyland, that is a bad example cos i never realise that i've adjusted the exposure to max!! :cry: wasted...

Btw thank to this wonderful website and forum, learn alot of thing about camera.

Cheeros

Post subject: camera
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:22 pm 
Just one of these will not be good since you will only get good results from some of your pics. I have the TZ5 for the zoom shots, and have ordered the LX3 for wide shots. If you want the best of both worlds in one camera, you'll need a much larger camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:47 pm 

Hello Bong Teo, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Nice to hear you are enthusiastic about your new gear and thanks for sharing your experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:57 pm 
I just went through the same choise as you but for me it was easy. I was after an adition to my DSLR that I can take places that I dont want to carry my SLR. As the FX500 is the smaller option I chose this one.

I havent had it delivered yet so cant comment yet.

If it is your only camera than I would probably go for the TZ5 as it has got great zoom. my girlfriend has the TZ3 (the one before) and its great compact.