Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NEW CAMERA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 pm 
hello,
I wanted opinions of my situation. I am currently using a panasonic tz1 which I have enjoyed for a few years now. I am considering getting a new camera and can't decide which would be better. I am looking at the TZ 5 or possibly waiting for the FZ28.
Which is better? I love the idea of a 18x zoom. The Tz 1 has a 10x zoom but is about 5 mp. The TZ 5 looks good as well,and I can get it now. I don't like spending too much time re editing photos so the RAW format isn't a big seller and i do like zooming during video which is why I am thinking od the fz28 instead of the fz18. I basically use the camera for vacation and filming stage dance recitals. ( I probably will eventually get a video camera for that but not a big need at this moment. ) My keys are versatility, easy to use/carry, good video & good pictures. If there is another camera that would be better please feel free to suggest it.
Thanks for your help.

DPAO
PS when is the FZ28 supposed to come out?(USA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi DPAO, welcome to the cameralabs forums!

I guess it boils down to which form factor do you prefer - the compact or the superzoom? Would you be happy carrying something the size of the FZ28, or do you demand something the size of the TZ5?

If you're happy carrying the FZ28, I'd say its manual controls and longer zoom make it a better bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:39 pm 

Hey DPAO.
I have the TZ5 for some days now and all I can say is that I'm quite impressed with what I can do so far, it's in my opinion a pretty nice package, consisting of a 10x Zoom camera and a nice HD Video recording device with the ability to use the optical zoom. Sure, as pointed out in the review on this site, the video (especially the audio) isn't as good as from a HD camcorder, but I must say I don't regret that I bought it so far...

My personal thoughts on your situation are that I'd get the TZ5 and if you need manual controls or bigger zoom, go get a DSLR, yeah I know, more expensive but the differences in size to a FZ18 aren't that great...

just my two cents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:43 pm 
pumraw wrote:
if you need manual controls or bigger zoom, go get a DSLR,

Well you're certainly correct about the control but you'd be hard pushed to find a DSLR with more than 10x zoom for a decent price/quality!!! :lol:

Mark

Post subject: Re: NEW CAMERA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:27 am 

DPAO wrote:
PS when is the FZ28 supposed to come out?(USA)

Hi DPAO,

I very interested in the FZ28 myself! In the past couple of days, some sellers have started offering the FZ28 on Price Grabber.

By the way, there's an active FZ28 thread which you are welcome to join.

Best wishes,

Fred

Cameras: Oly E-P1; Pan G1, FZ28, LZ10 | FT Lenses: Oly 50mm f/2.0; Sig 18-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 | MFT Lenses: Pan 20mm f/1.7, 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6, 45-200mm f/4-5.6