Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Panasonic DMC-LX3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 am 
I've been thinking about getting a little compact that I can just carry around in my pocket and this new compact from Panasonic sounds really nice! It can shoot Raw, the f2 lens should be great in low light and they've kept the pixels down to 10.1 to give each pixel more space to reduce noise, which is a good thing. If the images are anything DSLR-like, then it'll be the perfect option for me when I want something a little more discreet than my D300.

* 10.1 effective Megapixel CCD (which, at 1/1.63", is fairly large for a compact camera)
* F2.0-2.8, 2.5X optical zoom, equivalent to 24 - 60 mm; camera can produce 24 mm photos at any aspect ratio (4:3, 3:2, or 16:9)
* Optical image stabilization
* Venus IV image processor
* 3-inch LCD with 460,000 pixels; optional optical viewfinder attaches to hot shoe
* Full manual controls + Intelligent Auto Mode (which features AF tracking, redeye removal, auto scene selection, face detection, and more)
* RAW image format supported
* Records movies at 1280 x 720 (24 fps) with sound
* Support for conversion lenses, filters, and an external flash
* 50MB onboard memory + SD/SDHC/MMC card slot
* Uses CGA-S005 li-ion battery; 380 shots per charge
* Ships in August for $499; available in silver and black

Panasonic DMC-LX3 at Panasonic UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, yep, the LX3 certainly looks interesting... Hope you don't mind though, I've edited the link to Panasonic itself as dcresource isn't friendly towards us!

Thanks,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:10 am 
Hi Gordon,

No problem at all and I'll remember that for the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:10 pm 
Sounds like a really nice camera. With only a 2.5x zoom I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the Sigma DP-1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

If the image quality is good I think they'll have a winner on their hands. The LX2 was lovely apart from the IQ...

Post subject: LX3 & Canon G9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 am 

The zoom range of 2.5 may be deterrent for some (cf x4 for LX2), but the 24 mm wide equivalent is welcome, as is burst shooting mode at 2.5 pics/sec. It will be interesting to see how the noise compares with earlier models and the Canon G9. I'll stick with my Canon G9 for now - it's built like a tank & takes great pics at low ISO, but is slow (1.5 pics/sec max).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 am 
Does it do 2.5fps with the full size 10mp images? If it does, that's pretty impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:22 am 

Yes, seems to be - and up to 3 consecutive RAW (which I would normally use). See specs at http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/1 ... kInfo=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 am 
Wow, sounds good!

Post subject: LX3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm 
DSLR quality and "better" pixels? I don't know about that. On a Google search I found a LX3 test shot of a New York bridge and some buildings in the shade underneath. Even worse noise than the TZ3 or TZ5!! Horrible! Someone said "well, it's just a beta unit." If you believe that, they'll sell you the bridge too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:21 am 

Dear ChinaMark,

Thanks for starting this LX3 thread. I have my eye on the new FZ28 and have been discussing it on another Panasonic forum thread. The new LX3 is also a very compelling camera, and I can't help wondering if I should perhaps consider it instead of the FZ28.

I anticipate my main application will be taking photos of building interiors and exteriors, and possibly some portraits, for posting on business websites. I'd also like an all-purpose camera that I can use for fun as well as business. With its 18x optical zoom, rapid burst mode for capturing action, and the ability to zoom while recording video, I think the FZ28 fits the bill better for a "fun" camera. If its image quality is at least as good as the highly-rated FZ18, it will probably suffice for my business needs.

I'm very impressed with the LX3, but I think it may be more camera than I need. I get the feeling the LX3 is aimed for professional photographers or serious hobbyists who want a convenient, pocketable alternative to their full DSLR and multiple lens gear -- something which will take high quality pictures in low light, in particular. I gather that the LX3 has bigger pixels for reduced noise at high ISO and a larger aperture for brighter images in low light. It also shoots multiple aspect ratios at once. It seems to have a lot of features which would appeal to professionals and enthusiasts. I'm not sure I myself will actually need high performance in low light -- it's hard for me to believe that I won't be able to compensate for poor light by arranging for better light, in most circumstances. If I'm taking indoor pictures of a business for their website, they can turn on the damned lights and/or let me use one or more flash units, right? :lol:

I don't foresee having to push the limits of performance in the direction the LX3 is designed to excel. That's why I'm reluctant to give up the fun features of the FZ28 for high-performance features of the LX3 which I personally don't expect to need. I can also save myself over US$100 by going with the FZ28. I'd rather invest the savings in a wide-angle converter lens and a slave flash for the FZ28, which I think will serve my overall needs better than the LX3.

Do you think I've made a good assessment for my own particular needs or did I overlook something important?

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred

P.S. ChinaMark, I checked out your website, and you have a wonderful collection of truly spectacular pictures of China! What kind of camera do you use?

Cameras: Oly E-P1; Pan G1, FZ28, LZ10 | FT Lenses: Oly 50mm f/2.0; Sig 18-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 | MFT Lenses: Pan 20mm f/1.7, 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6, 45-200mm f/4-5.6

Last edited by fwchapman on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:00 pm 
fwchapman wrote:
I have my eye on the new FZ28 and have been discussing it on another Panasonic forum thread. The new LX3 is also a very compelling camera, and I can't help wondering if I should perhaps consider it instead of the FZ28.

Fred I found myself battling over the same choice not too long ago, and while I believe that the LX-3 is a better camera, arguably the best digital alternative to the much more expensive Leica M8 rangefinder & an undeniably wonderful tool for street photography enthusiasts... I ended up selecting the fz28 because in the end, as much as I would have loved to own the LX-3, I understood that the limitations of the LX-3 simply do not hold sway over the versatility of the fz28.

Before I explain what I mean, let me just say this as clearly as possible... If I already owned a dSLR (or bridge camera) then without hesitation I would have selected the LX-3. I do not now, nor at any point in this post wish to claim the fz28 to be the better camera... I simply wish to point out how it is a much more useful camera for me.

The biggest advantage that the LX-3 has over the other high-end compacts like the Nikon P-6000 or the Canon G9 is the extremely wide 24mm lens(an effective 22mm if you shoot 16:9) & an extremely fast lens(f2.0 'nuff said). This alone is reason enough for most people in the high-end compact market to drool...

Beyond this, the camera offers almost everything you could ask for in a compact. RAW capabilities, complete manual control (aperture priority, shutter priority, manual & program alongside customizable presets). A very usable high-speed burst mode, and what's being touted as a hugely upgraded image processing engine with special care in ensure maximum detail & minimum noise... The sensor is among the biggest one can find on a compact (Sigma's DP1 is ofcourse in the advantage here, but the slow, fixed prime-lens & complaints about camera responsiveness may push it below the LX-3) and to top it all you have a very sturdy Leica inspired all-metal body.

So why, with all these factors giving the LX-3 the upper hand did I decide to go with the the fz28?

Because I believe that the fz28 is the best "one size fits all" camera that will cater superbly to my every need.

The fz28 isn't as wide as the 24mm LX3, but it's still wider than most of its' competition at 27mm. Do those extra 3mm (or 2.5mm converting the effective width on 16:9 modes) matter to me, yes. Do they matter more to me than the 400+mm that the fz28 has over the 60mm tele range of the LX3, no. While I don't consider myself requiring a 487mm zoom range in day to day activities, I do think that the potential that range gives me far outweighs the advantage of a slightly wider lens. If the fz28 was something akin to the Canon S5 and started it's wide end at 36mm, then I would have been forced to reconsider, but at 27mm, it's wide enough for me not to complain.

Similarly, while the f2.0 is a very alluring figure, the f2.8 offered by the fz28 seems comfortably close enough for me to not give it enough credence. Again, if the fz28 was offering something like Fuji's SP2000's f3.5 (at the wide end) then I would be forced to reconsider but as it stands, the fz28 has a very fast lens that should do well enough for me in all but the worse lit conditions...

So with both of those points being negated for my own foreseeable usage pattern, I find myself looking at two very similar cameras. Same Venus IV engine, same manual controls...

Through it all, I found myself favouring the 18x zoom range over the advantages of the LX3, but at this stage, the size factor came into play & I found myself inkling towards the LX3 again. Did I want to have a camera as big as the fz28 when I could get something smaller & better in the form of the LX3 (or even the TZ5)?

I found myself clearing this final hurdle by actually grabbing an fz18 from the local market & holding it in my hands. Since the fz28 is virtually identical in it's size & design to the fz18, I found myself acknowledging the beauty of holding a camera thats big enough to feel comfortable & sturdy enough without it seeming big enough to be an SLR. I found myself understanding how I can use the fz28 as a walkaround camera without needed to worry about people complaining that I need a photography permit for using what would appear to be pro-gear.

Now this might not matter to you, but in India, this could have been a serious problem for me & one grasp at the fz18 & I found my doubts disappearing.

The fz28 is a brilliant camera, supposedly fast & responsive with an impeccably grand range (wide to tele) and features some of the best AF-tracking & high-speed burst shooting modes one can think of. I know i'll find it very comfortable "in-hand" and I know I'll be getting a lot of shots with it that I simply wouldn't even see with the LX-3.

So whereas I still think that the LX-3 is a beautiful camera with very impressive rangefinder-ish appeal... I don't think it would serve as my "only" camera as well as the fz28 will. If I were suddenly come into another $500 then I would very probably get myself the LX-3 as well (as such I plan to get my girlfriend either it or the TZ5 soon) but as a stand alone piece of photographic equipment... The fz28 is my choice.

I know that my reasoning may not appeal or apply to you in your photographic plans, but from what all you mentioned, your ability to enhance lighting & the fz28's ability to shoot at 27mm wide significantly reduce the need for a wider or faster lens (which would ofcourse perform better at higher ISO (eliminating the need for as high ISOs as it's competition actually)) but again, that is simply my opinion on the matter.

I would recommend you to go out & grab both these cameras & see how well they handle. Since both of these are available now, I'm sure you could find them at a good store, but if not... Find an LX-2 & the fz18 & compare how they feel...

Actual in-hand comfort was one of the key reasons I chose to go with the fz28 & as far as i can foresee, I don't think i'll be regretting my decision anytime soon.

Post subject: Reply to Jacen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 am 

Dear Jacen,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed comparison of the FZ28 vs. the LX3. I appreciate that you took the time to explain your thought process so that we can see how you arrived at your final conclusion.

If I understand your position correctly, our views are very similar. I also think there are important ways in which the LX3 is a better camera than the FZ28, but in the end I too favor the FZ28 because it seems much more versatile than the LX3. I think we came to essentially the same conclusions: the LX3 caters more to high-end photographers while the FZ28 appeals to a wider audience with more diverse needs.

Deciding between two extremely fine choices like the LX3 and the FZ28 is certainly not easy, but I take comfort that a thoughtful and reflective person like yourself ultimately came to the same conclusion I did, and for very similar reasons.

Thanks again, and happy shooting to you!

Fred

Cameras: Oly E-P1; Pan G1, FZ28, LZ10 | FT Lenses: Oly 50mm f/2.0; Sig 18-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 | MFT Lenses: Pan 20mm f/1.7, 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6, 45-200mm f/4-5.6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:01 pm 

Here's a first impressions video of the LX3 by DigitalRev.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdQxZUrMjsk

Fred

Post subject: compares
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 am 
Where you will *really* see the difference between the LX3 and FZ28 etc. is in the images, particularly when you have to edit the images, and especially when you crop them. The quality from the tiny 1/2.33 sensor of the FZ28 will deteriorate rapidly, whereas the LX3 will hold up much better. More to the point, though, the LX3 will be an ideal pocket landscape camera, and the FZ28 a superzoom camera - and there's no comparison at all in the target audience/application.