Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 8 bit mono
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:36 pm 
I see ads in the digital music world for 24-bit this, and 1-bit that, and loads of other beads-and-rattles black magic, but 8-bit mono? I dunno, Youtube has lots of lo-fi mono and most of that is an order or two of magnitude better than the TZ5's sound. Hopefully someone will find out how they package the sound with the video and where the weak points are. I still suspect that the camera motors make a big difference, but something in the TZ5's gain amplifiers is greatly exaggerating the mechanical intrusions. If you want to appreciate the gain aspect, get to where there's good ambient sound, then record about 20 seconds with one finger covering the mic, and 20 seconds with the mic free and clear. Huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:27 pm 

My first letter, to Panasonic USA customer support

Quote:
Urgent request for accurate reply.

Problem: DMC-TZ5 audio quality so poor that it renders voice recordings unintelligible.

To hear and evaluate:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TZ5A

Compared against my former digital camera, I find that TZ5 can't be used for making clear-sounding, spoken word videos--which is half the reason I bought the TZ5

Is my camera defective, or are =all= of the TZ cameras this bad in the recording of audio?

What is the intended audio recording bit rate?

Thanks for referring this question to management for expert reply to me so that I can write a cogent, public answer to TZ5 owners and to prospective buyers.
EDIT: mail failure
Quote:
Date: Sun 06/08/08 03:25 PM

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

WEBTEAM@US.PANASONIC.com
I don't know why the mail failed.

_________

OK, so now I've gone the telephone support route and have been issued a case number.
I requested that this question about the garbled and hissy sound be passed up the corporate hierarchy.
The telephone support people were quick to take my call, listened well, and were faultless, polite, efficient.
I referred Panasonic to my new YouTube account to hear the audio problems.

You can type TZ5A into the YouTube search bar to find these documentary videos,or simply clickhere.

Am so fond of this new camera, but am sorry, conflicted to keep the camera,
because, and aside from the really loud, steady-state hiss of background noise,
this TZ5 cannot record intelligibly a speaker standing six or eight feet in front of the camera.
Half of its intended duty was to make better quality YouTube videos, but it can't--the sound is abysmal.