Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:03 am 
I am upgrading from a cannon a520 that i have a set of modifier lenses for as well as my infrared, and star fitlers. I am no professional photographer. but i do like to play around with fun things. time lapse, infrared, and normally do motor-sports and aviation pictures.

My total budget is Max $500. so that takes most SLR cameras out of the options. but i like that the Fz-50 can be manuely zoomed via ring. I used to love the way my old film slr zoomed and focused, and i want that feeling back.

Is that a good reason to go FZ50 or should i look at the S5IS or other cameras instead. I want as much control without having to take two minuits diving thru menus to set it up.

The main reason i would be looking at SLR's is for the startup and shutter lag as well as the high iso performance. But i'm not sure when i'd even use a high ISO. And i have little interest in spending thousands on lenses.

Think this is the camera for me or do the rings feel goofy to use?

Post subject: FZ50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 pm 
Of course the DSLR's add more total flexibility, but as for the manual zoom, it's really slick on the FZ50 and many times faster to set than electronic zoom. Even more important IMO is RAW shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:17 pm 
Me being used to an SLR, using a Sony H9 at school today felt really weird. The zoom was slow and yet imprecise. I think a manual zoom ring would be a welcome addition on any camera.

I hear the FZ50's is really nice too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

If you want a non-DSLR with a mechanically-linked zoom ring, then there's also the Fujifilm S100fs, but we haven't tested it yet...