Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:45 pm 
I'm considering the TZ5 for using as a party camera, travelling companion and for motorsports photography. I don't have any "photographyphile" expectations. (Photo sample here: http://phrenetic.to/files/images/PICT0634.JPG) That picture is taken with a DiMAGE X60 and I want to get up closer with higher resolution and with focus. The great review you have on the TZ5 states that there you are limited to the amount of manual options. I'd like to know a bit more about those limitations.

My 2nd concern is how good the red-eye reduction is and how good pictures you can expect from a night out to town. My current camera sucks in that department (Sample pic, http://phrenetic.to/files/images/PICT1740.JPG)

My 3rd concern is how careful you have to be regarding dust. There are lots of moving parts and pocket lint can be quite disastrous I can imagine. Are you required to to keep it in a camera bag? (I like the idea of the shock/waterproof Olympus line) My DiMAGE has been dropped to floor several times without any problems.

Thanks again for the great review Gordon, hats off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 am 
Just a quick note: if you want a "party camera" (I'm assuming that party means inside and night time), you may want to consider other brands. This camera has two weak spots, that I've found thus far: darker, inside shots, and lack of manual focus. Best of luck.

Post subject: What camera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 pm 
The TZ5 is not a good choice. There may be many good choices at same or lower price in all respects except one: zoom. At a higher price you can satisfy most or all of your requirements: Canon G9. No matter what you buy, always put the camera in a completely enclosed bag to protect from dust. Dust will eventually harm any camera, no matter how well made it is.

Post subject: Re: What camera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:17 pm 
dalethorn wrote:
The TZ5 is not a good choice. There may be many good choices at same or lower price in all respects except one: zoom. At a higher price you can satisfy most or all of your requirements: Canon G9. No matter what you buy, always put the camera in a completely enclosed bag to protect from dust. Dust will eventually harm any camera, no matter how well made it is.

The G9 is indeed a contender which gives all sorts of professional features. What concerns me regarding the G9 is the size and bulkiness. The G9 is not really a compact camera in my opinion. It's a small professional camera. :]

Post subject: Camera size
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:41 pm 
You can almost determine the exact camera size by the amount of zoom (TZ5 280 and G9 210) and size of CCD (TZ5 1/2.33 and G9 1/1.7). So you get less zoom on the G9 but much better image quality, not just because of the CCD, but also due to RAW mode. Now don't forget, compared to pocket cameras, the TZ5 is a fat one, about 1-1/2 inches and quite heavy. So that's the essentials.