Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:39 pm 

Well, I've mailed off the camera to Panasonic to see what they say about it. I bought it from Beach Camera. After all this I'm past their 30 day return policy so I'm waiting to see what both companies tell me. It's a pretty camera but I do find it hard to believe it won 2 awards for camera excellence in 2007-08. I just wanted a slim model to put in my purse/pocket so I could get some quick photos. I have an older Olympus digital which works great but it's rather clunky. It's only 3mp so I thought I'd upgrade, but I'm unhappy with the results of this TZ3. Perhaps I'm a clutz? I like taking photos but I like working onthe simpler side of things.

thanks.

Post subject: TZ3
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 pm 
I also had a TZ3 which I thought made poor-quality images, so I gave it away and got a TZ5 which is much better. I've seen a lot of people recommend the TZ3, but I try to point them to the TZ5 instead. Alas, in many cases, people don't really know if they're going to be satisfied with a camera until they try it out. My feeling is that you will not see any difference in your TZ3 after they finish with it, so I hope you can find a solution somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:15 pm 

Thanks Dalethorn. I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't like this camera.

Get this: yesterday I posted some photos on another forum from my old Olympus camera and made a little statement saying I had to mail in my new compact camera because I was having problems. Believe it or not, but someone posted saying they bought a Panasonic TZ3 and love it. "it lives up to all the hype." The very camera I don't like! I questioned him a bit and he says he's just a 'point and shoot' man. Uggg, I really think I got a lemon now. I'm just waiting to hear from Panasonic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:01 pm 

I've followed this thread too, and wondered if the camera was a lemon.
It is amazing to myself that these low cost, cutting edge cameras have such relatively good quality control.

My own TZ5 arrives today in a few hours or less.
I hope it's a sweet one, I can only hope....samples/luck will vary, surely.

Post subject: Fairness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:59 pm 
In all fairness, there were times when my TZ3 (now TZ5) was driving me crazy, not seeming to do anything right. A big part of the problem was learning the quirks of the camera to get past most of that. The TZ5 is much better, but you still need to be aware of:
1) Keep your fingers away from the mic. 2) Turn the continuous autofocus OFF!! 3) When doing video, watch for sudden brightness changes and try to aim in between a light and dark area so the camera stabilizes the light. ....And probably a few more.

Post subject: My TZ3 is back!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:11 pm 

Hi,
as you recall I mailed my TZ3 off to Panasonic. I got it back with a little note: "Replaced Lens, electrical adust, checked all function, tested ok"

So Panasonic replaced the lens! I took photos around my house and at two events, and I must say--they are much better. I can say I'm pleased. So I did get a 'lemon'.

I must say it's not as nice as my 'thicker' camera. In using a compact you do lose some thing on indoor shots, but this little camera does super on macro shots and outdoor action shots.

I'm happy that I returned it to the company!

thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:49 am 

Hello Birdwatcher,
I know you posted this ages ago, but I'm having the same problem with my TZ3 and I was relieved to find someone with the same problem.

I know it's definately not my skills with the camera as my colleague has the same one (and the same "skills") and his pictures are much better quality than mine.

I actually bought my camera in May and have been hoping up to now that I find someting obvious that I was doing wrong, but I think now's the time to take action.

What I wanted to ask was did you get anywhere with the seller? or did you have to resort to Panasonic direct?

And - are you now happy with the repaired model because at the moment I just want a new camera.

I hope that you are still able to send me a reply.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm 

Hello,

The seller only told me to contact Panasonic. I'd think your camera would still be under warranty. I'd contact Panasonic. I just mailed them the camera, they fixed it for free and mailed it back to me. I only paid for the postage to mail it to them.

I'm happy with the camera now. It works well, just like everyone says it should. It sounds like you got a lemon too. Sadly, it takes a while for us to realize it's the camera that's bad, not our photo-taking skills since so many rave about how great the camera is. Be insistent that they fix your camera!

I also sent you a PM.

best wishes,
N.