Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: TZ4 - beginner questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:08 pm 
I own a TZ4 since a few days and I am a beginner in the compact scene.
There is one thing that I can't figure out with this TZ4 and hope someone can help me since it seems to be a general digital camara issue to me .

1. In case that I use the iA (automatic) mode in night circumstances, it is hard to see good details in the screen since it shows anything too dark. However when the picture is taken, flashing is automatically done and the result is a quite ligth picture just like it was not that dark. However the yellow color of the wall shows white. I was wondering how I can get a more naturally night picture without forcing too much whitening to the colors in general? How can I get a more white picture in the screen in order to have a better preparation of the picture?

2. In case I use the automatic flash both at daylight and night circumstances when taking a picture of a flower in front of a wall the picture shows very noticeable shadowing of the leaves. Only in case that I force not to use the flashing, there is no shadowing. However, in night circumstances I need to use the flashing and then it keeps showing these shadowing. How can I cope with this shadowing?

regards,
Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi Oscar, welcome to the Cameralabs forums.

The first answer is white balance. If you manually set the white balance, then it won't get confused as you take the flash. I'm not sure what options areon the TZ4, but if there's a flash white balance, try that. Or if not, just experiemtn with the settings you do have. But remember to put it back to auto white balance AWB afterwards.

The second answer is that there's always shadows cast by flashes. You can try and hide the ffect by moving the position or direction of an external flash, but your options are limited on a compact. Maybe try diffusing it with a bit of tracing or tissue paper temporarily held in front of the flash...

Post subject: Flash fill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 am 
I got a small white flash bouncer free with a magazine - check with a camera store and see what they have. It might work.

Post subject: Re: Flash fill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:49 am 

dalethorn wrote:
I got a small white flash bouncer free with a magazine...

I've never met one of those. Was he wearing a light-up bow tie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Bouncer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 pm 
Actually he was hiding in a small plastic bag - rather circular in shape. Amazing what they can fit in with a $10 magazine (that's what the Brit rags cost here in the USA).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:06 pm 
@ Gordon,

thanks for your help. I've found that changing the white balance and disabling the flash results into good natural-like pictures. However while doing the preparation, the screen shows anything too dark and therefore is too difficult to verify the picture prior to shooting. Regardless of any white balance setting, during night shots, all pictures on behalf of the flashing result in too white colorization as if it was full of daylight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:54 pm 
Hello Oscar,

I also have the Lumix TZ4 for a few days now and am really happy with it! Though the last days I couldn't stop trying out all the different settings on all kinds of objects and light situations...

Coming to your questions, Flashlights unfortunately have many undesireable side effects.

The best solution is to supress the flashlight and either use an external light source (e.g. a lamp) which would also resolve the display problem, or to use a longer shutter speed (if you can ensure the camera and the photographed object stay complety still for a second, also use the selftimer). You can also experiment with the ISO sensitivity, but this might reduce picture quality.

The whiteness of the wall can also be because of the flashlight reflecting from it, to reduce this a little, try in the manual mode (when the wheel is turned to the camera symbol) pushing the ^ button (the one above the menue button) and then changing the lightning (-2 to +2). If you choose +2, the display will be brighter, but the wall might become even whiter than before (actually better used for black object with little reflection). Selecting -2 will reduce the reflection effect and give more natural colors to flash-pictures, but unfortunately, the display will be very dark...

To reduce the display problem: there is a LCD mode which brightens up the display, though it won't be exactly the same light as the result picture.

The best thing would be a photo studio with huge spotlights :)

Have fun taking pictures!
Mia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 pm 

Hi Mia,

What a great first post. Looking forward to more of your insights but in the meantime may I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.