Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: TZ3 or TZ5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:21 am 
Hi All,
I currently have the TZ3 but am thinking seriously about the TZ5. I still love my TZ3 but my wife and I are going to Europe in August and thinking some of the new features such as zoom when recording etc might prove useful. I'm a bit worried about the new processor in the TZ5 and letting it make all the decisions, any help or ideas would be appreciated. Kiwionfire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kiwionfire, welcome to the Cameralabs forums, and a big hello from Central Otago!

The TZ5 is a wonderful camera, but I'm not sure if there's really enough for existing TZ3 owners to justify upgrading. Have you seen my video tour? the zooming when filming isn't perfect for example. The better auto mode is neat, but have you had any real issues with your TZ3?

There's also a feature comparison here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... dict.shtml

Personally I'd stick with the TZ3 as your go-anywhere compact, but complement it with a small DSLR for the money shots. See our best buys section for the current recommended models:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... eras.shtml

Gordon

PS - don't forget the TZ5 is called the TZ15 here in NZ!

Post subject: 3 or 5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 pm 
I have the 3 and I bought the 5. The 5 has HD video, lower noise, and better image quality. If I went to Europe with just the 3, I'd really hate myself when I got back and realized what I could have had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:01 am 
thanks for the info I'll probably get the TZ5(15) and also maybe get myself a DSLR to take as well, also Dale do you find the new auto menu good on the TZ5, like how does it perform for sports or fast action shots. Richy.

Post subject: Fast action
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:55 am 
So far I haven't been successful with fast action shots - I would like to know better how to do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 pm 
Hi folks
been hunting around reviews for a compact zoom(6+) camera with movie mode. Came across this site and it gives great advice so became a member. I should say i am no expert but have a keen interest. The TZ3+TZ5 seem the best. I'd like decent movie mode. Have read the TZ3vTZ5 threads and where i don't want regret is in the movie mode. Is TZ5 not as good for movie as TZ3, without caring about zoom during recording? And is the image quality that much difference?
Cheers and continue the good work

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:57 am 
The TZ5 has a way better movie capability, but it uses 190 mb per minute, so you would have to have a 8 gb SDHC high-speed card, or maybe 32 gb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 am 
The TZ5 has a way better movie capability, but it uses 190 mb per minute, so you would have to have a 8 gb SDHC high-speed card, or maybe 32 gb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:03 am 
Yes, TZ5 has good movie quality for a digicam

but mine at least, has the worst audio fidelity of any digicam ever made.

Thith is a tetht of TZ5 audio quality made in an ideal thetting and thith ith how it makth me thound. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:08 am 
Yes Dale, having read another thread where you say you push people towards TZ5 than TZ3, i have decided to go for the TZ5. Seems worth it paying that bit more, have no regrets if left wondering what the TZ5 would be like! All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:14 am 
Favour to ask of of any willing TZ5 owner.
I would like to learn if my TZ5 is a particularly defective example

request: put the camera on tripod, stand six feet or eight feet in front, and record yourself speaking to the camera and let me see the video?
I want to learn if your camera has a better audio than mine.
Here I am slamming the TZ5 audio all over the net, but what if my camera is this way because it has a bad audio chip?
Surely they can't all be as garbled sounding as my TZ is?

Please help me gain perspective. Thanks!

Post subject: Video
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:41 pm 
Is there a place I can upload about 45 mb of TZ5 video, without hassle or registration?

Post subject: Re: Video
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:54 pm 
dalethorn wrote:
Is there a place I can upload about 45 mb of TZ5 video, without hassle or registration?

You'd be lucky to find sites that don't require registration. You could try yousendit.com or dropsend.com and share the link. Maybe even rapidshare but apart from those I can't think of anywhere that will give you any less hassle. You could create a flickr account in a couple of minutes, if that. Flickr supports video these days.

Post subject: Re: Video
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:55 am 
dalethorn wrote:
I don't know of anyplace but Vimeo to upload uncompressed HD or whatever.
Vimeo is certainly a level, honest place populated with really decent people;
it's like YouTube but with manners and community quality like we have here.

All I need is an audio-from-the-tripod-six-or-eight-feet away.
It need not be in HD, because the sound is the same in all video modes.
A YouTube viddy would be fine. YouTube allows you as many accounts as you like;
I have like five YT accounts. An account can be made in two minutes, used for this purpose,
gimme a url, let me hear the cam, then you can delete the video, whatever.

Thought: go Rapidshare or some such--but yeah, all require some sort of registration.

Thanks for help. I DO NOTE that my TZ5 records my voice "ok" (not garbled) if I'm at the camera, talking into it.
But it won't catch my voice right if I'm more than 6 feet away.
Doubtless, some people's voices will record better than my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:00 am 
It's a great place and is catching on just fine
http://www.vimeo.com/blog:111
http://www.vimeo.com/help/basics

Wikipedia has a list of all the video hosting sites and their qualities, options
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... o_services