Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC

baby-camera (and for fun in general)
Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2007 7:46 am
Panasonic Lumix TZ3 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Panasonic Lumix TZ2 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Ricoh Caplio R6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fujifilm FinePix F31 fd 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
another one (please specific) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
another one (please specific) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:46 am 

Is the F31fd the best baby-camera due to its low light superb quality?
I mean ,
I know that it might well be , but the zoom range is so boring.

I have to buy a camera so that I will shoot 100 pics per hour at the baby that will soon come, but I still don´t know if I should rather go for a more versatile lumix tz3 .
I rarely do prints of my pictures, picture remain quite exclusively on monitor.
Any suggestion?

Thanx

here below are my favorites...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi cyberfranz, welcome to the forums!

The F30 / F31fd is acertainly one of the best cameras in low light, and if that's the kind of environment you'll be photographing the baby in, then it's a great choice.

The TZ3 has a much more powerful zoom which also goes wider - and it has a massive screen too - but it ain't great at higher sensitivities. Check out these pages to see how they both operate at 400 ISO and up:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujif ... e4ca.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... e4ca.shtml

So if you're shooting mostly under bright conditions, get the TZ3, but if you're shooting in subdued or dimmer conditions, go for the F30, or the F31fd to also get face detection in there. (the F31fd is the same as the F30 but has face detection which could be handy for baby photography)

If you want the best low-light performance though, consider a DSLR. The Nikon D40 is a great beginners DSLR and will blow any compact out of the water.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:56 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi cyberfranz, welcome to the forums!

The F30 / F31fd is acertainly one of the best cameras in low light, and if that's the kind of environment you'll be photographing the baby in, then it's a great choice.

The TZ3 has a much more powerful zoom which also goes wider - and it has a massive screen too - but it ain't great at higher sensitivities. Check out these pages to see how they both operate at 400 ISO and up:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujif ... e4ca.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... e4ca.shtml

So if you're shooting mostly under bright conditions, get the TZ3, but if you're shooting in subdued or dimmer conditions, go for the F30, or the F31fd to also get face detection in there. (the F31fd is the same as the F30 but has face detection which could be handy for baby photography)

If you want the best low-light performance though, consider a DSLR. The Nikon D40 is a great beginners DSLR and will blow any compact out of the water.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

thanks for the nice answer, mmm, light conditions??? I couldn´t tell now, sometimes bright sometimes not, I really need an allrounder since I like to experiment a bit of everything that´s why I am more tented by the Panasonic.

About the DSLR , hehehe, that´s another story I am asking because soon it will be my birthday and my wife wants me to choose my dream P&S camera, a DSLR would be too much for our finances. The point is that soon ( I hope really soon ) I will finish my PhD, that´s when the Parents Corporation comes into play. It´s already planned that the deserved reward will be an entry level DSLR, but that´s another story as I already wrote and I will come to that point in another day.

So at the end I really think that the TZ2 is still my favorite, I don´t need a bigger screen and the extra magapixel, and the Autobracketing tool , mmm, I don´t know, what do you guys think is it really helpful or necessary? if it´s only an exposure AB I don´t think so, a focus AB would be more interesting but I expect some feedback from somebody who already tried it.

Thanks

bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:00 pm 

By the way,

today I saw the Caplio R6 , it looked fine, but really noisy , I mean loud during zooming , I didn´t have time to observe it more carefully.

Is it comparable to the TZ2?

thanks