Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: TZ5 noise
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:13 am 
I did some shots in the back yard last week with wide angle and full zoom, where the camera (using auto ISO) selected 100 ISO on some shots and 400 on others. While the noise was more apparent at ISO 400, I used a slight Guassian blur and slight increase of gamma or contrast to compensate, and I believe my final results were comparable with both the 100 and 400 ISO images. I was very happy with that, and I don't think the TZ3 would have done nearly that well.

Post subject: Venus IV Engine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:56 pm 

Hi all,

I was interested to read that you feel the TZ3 is the most natural competitor to the TZ5. But where does the TZ4 fit in to all of this?

I'm not all that bothered about the HD movie modes and the extra megapixels of the TZ5, so I'm looking more at a decision to make between the TZ3 and the TZ4, as the 4 offers a reasonable saving over the 5, and doesn't look too much more pricey than the TZ3.

Weighing up the pros and cons, the 4 has more megapixels but a smaller LCD, so they pretty much cancel each other out. They have the same lens and a very similar size/handling from what I can tell. The major difference all boils down to the new Venus IV engine. So the question I have is whether the new engine has a significant advantage in terms of speed/response over the old, and whether the intelligent Auto mode is a big step forward in getting creative with your shooting, and whether it improves the ease of use of the camera.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi withie, that's a good question - having not tested the TZ4, I can't comment on its sensor and quality.

As you know, the lens is the same on the TZ3 and TZ4, although the screen is actually a bit bigger on the TZ3.

The new Auto modes are well worth having if you find you can't get the camera to do what you want - BUT if you're good at locking exposures, focus etc, then you'll find the TZ3 fine.

Post subject: TZ4 more megapixels?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 am 
The TZ4 has fewer mehapixels and a smaller CCD. The TZ5 should perform a *lot* better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:32 pm 

New here! Hi, ya'll!
I just have to wonder as I've done my research on a new pocketable digital camera, why these companies come out with so many similar versions -- one right after the other. TZ3, TZ4, then TZ5 -- with no real huge differences until you hit the TZ5.

If you look at Casio, as an example, they have something like 8 different models -- all with very similar features, similar focal lengths, etc. You would think they'd have a distinct series -- wide, macro, telephoto, super-telephoto, movie. But it all seems to be a repackaging gimmick for the most part.

Questions on the TZ5...
1) How well does the Macro function on this unit?
2) How "pocketable" is it? I read the thickness size and that seems a little chunky for any kind of pocket except a sport coat, but is it the thickest part of the camera?

Thanks,

Guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Hi Guyowen, the closest focusing distance is 5cm and you can see an example in our TZ5 gallery.

How pocketable? How big are your pockets?!

It measures 103x59x37mm and you can see a photo of it on our TZ5 design page.

It's bigger than the slimmest compacts, but no bigger than a lot of other models. As I recall, the 37mm measurement was its thickest part, but you may want to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 am 

Great website, full of good points! I ordered one tonight, plus a 4GB fast SD card.

Thanks for everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:51 am 
Site Admin

Nice one Guy - I hope you considered shopping through one of our affiliate stores or price-checked on the site!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Affil ... ping.shtml

That's the only way we survive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:33 am 

Yes, indeedy. I sure did. Bought at Amazon. Ritz did not have this model. Adorama was higher than what I paid. Amazon offered the SanDaisk combo Reader with 4GB Ultra II Card at a good price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:17 am 

hi gordon a very nice review indeed however i wanted to ask you about face detection in this camera how effective is it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:50 am 

After reading Gordon's review (thanks Gordon), I ended up picking up this camera (TZ5). The weather hasn't been cooperating since it arrived, so I haven't really tested it much yet, but I am very happy with the feel/construction, ergonomics and menu system (something I didn't care for on the Canon 870 IS). I also ordered a spare battery. I am wondering if anyone has a good idea about how long a spare will hold it's full charge? Even a ballpark range would help me: days, weeks, months? Thanks.

Edit: Actually, I have a second question as well. My camera manual states that the TZ5 has ISO modes of 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600. I assumed that when I had it set to auto, it would choose between those firm settings. The software that came with the camera lists one of my auto shots as an ISO of 160. Is this correct? I had thought that the ISO settings were an all-or-nothing step from, for example, ISO 100 to ISO 200. Does auto mode have access to incremental settings in between the user ISO settings? I hope I made this understandable; it's pretty late where I am. Thanks again for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi the cooldoc, I found the face detection pretty good on the TZ5 - same as every Panasonic compact.

Astroman, yep, the user ISO settings are one stop apart - ie, they double or halve, but the camera has access to smaller increments in auto.

PS - and a big cameralabs welcome to you both!

Post subject: Battery TZ5
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 am 
The battery will hold pretty close to its full charge for at least a month out of the camera. In camera it drains a little faster. If you don't use it after about 2 months, you should probably recharge it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:59 pm 

Thanks to both of you for the answers, it's nice to clear up a couple of the mysteries. Can anyone recommend a web site or forum that has beginner info on digital, non-SLR cameras? I would like to learn how to use this thing, without pestering people about every little question that comes up. Most of the sites that I have found are for the more serious folk (read: SLR). I can't even get this damn camera to focus on the moon using the starry night setting (even my first auto focus camera could handle this situation); so I think more instruction is called for. Thanks again.

-Kris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next