Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 pm 
First, regarding the HD video feature of the camera, is this spec ideal enough?
Quote:
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC Card Specifications:
Write Speed: 9MB/sec
Read Speed: 10MB/sec

Secondly, would a yet-faster card (for instance, Sandisk Extreme III) confer any added benefit to TZ5 general or specific operations?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I use a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB card for all my Panasonic tests and it works fine with the HD video mode... I don't believe they would exploit a faster card, but a higher-end camera might, so if you're thinking of re-using the SD card in a DSLR in the future, then it could be worth investing in a faster model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:59 pm 
Yes, good, thank you Gordon!

Also talked to the Panasonic help line a half hour ago and they said "10mb" or better is fine.

Ah, but what about the reading of the card's data into the PC?
I've been doing nothing but read and search online today.
Here's why I have just decided to order an Extreme III :
Quote:
5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, April 16, 2008
By J. Martin
I'm using this card (with the associated reader) with my Canon XSI. While the speed of the card exceeds the requirements of the camera, the fast read speed is a real boon when I need to move hundreds of RAW image files to my PC. The included reader is required for this, as the SD reader in my PC cannot handle this SDHC card. Very happy, I love the fast read speed this card supports.
SanDisk Extreme III - Flash memory card - 8 GB - Class 6 - SDHC with MicroMate Reader
for $70.25US delivered. And even better :D , at least two of the merchants (Beach Camera and Adorama)
will include rebate forms by which you get $40 back. 8)

Cheers!

Post subject: Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:10 pm 
I have a problem viewing the TZ5 videos on my two laptops - they are WinXP, 1.2 ghz, 60 gb hard drives. When I convert them to iPod format, they play smoothly. So I wonder how many people see a problem with video that's a computer problem, not a camera problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:32 am 
Hi. I'm surprising my wife with 2nd row tickets to a concert this weekend. The performer (madonna) moves around on stage alot and I'm told her stage is usually brightly lit from behind and sometimes from the front as well.

Anyway, for the past year I have been using a kodak Easyshare C743. It has 3x zoom and 7.1 MP

I have had second row center located seats for a few famous comedy acts (Kathy Griffin, Dennis Miller) and the pics turned out terrible even though I was close. I have no idea if I was using the wrong settings.

I was at costco the other day and a salesman reccomended the Panasonic TZ5 so I bought it.

I have tried playing with the settings but have not been that happy with the results so far. Speed burst is pretty cool but sitting near the front, I can't use flash.

Does anyone know what the best settings for this camera would be for someone sitting second row at a concert where the performer won't often be standing in place.??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:37 am 
The store was selling the TZ5 for $239.

The other options I considered (and still might buy) were:

Cannon Powershot SD990 IS $349.00

Cannon SD890 IS $289.00

I just want to take some good pics at this concert so any advice on the one camera listed here that will be easiest for me to use and grab some great pics would be greatly appreciated.