Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FZ30 vs entry level dSLR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:46 pm 
Dear Camera Labs

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic FZ30. I'm really just upgrading from a compact digital (CASIO Exlim) and want to get a machine that will take really good photos. The spec. of the FZ30 sounds perfect for me. High zoom levels, 8MP, etc. etc, all without the need to faff about setting apertures and shutter speeds, etc, and possibly missing the vital shot. As anovice to "real" photography, it sounds ideal. However, I'm a bit concerned at some of the reports I've read concerning noise at higher ISO settings and have started to think about whether I should go for an entry level SLR like the Nikon D50. I've seen some interesting twin lens packages with this machine, and I'm trying to decide whether the better image capabilities of an SLR would be worth it. I'm particularly interested in getting a camera that will perform significantly better than the CASIO in poor lighting, and where there's perhaps some action (movement)involved. Do you think the FZ30 will disappoint, or will I find it significantly more capable in all respects than the compact? Just how much better are the images from an SLR like the D50 than the FZ30?
Many thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me

Post subject: FZ30 vs entry level dSLR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:15 am 
The dSLR is better than the FZ30 in terms of image quality! Or so they say. Most probably, you won't tell the difference unless you blowup your images to 'unreasonable' proportions or press your nose on the printed picture. dSLRs are getting very cheap nowadays. However, you need to add to that the cost of the price of the extra lenses you have to purchase to equal the range that offered by the built-in lens on the fs30, which could well range into thousands of dollars. The fz30's Leica lens is no slouch in terms of quality either.

I came from film SLRs (I've had several, medim format even) and I'm tired of lugging around a bagful of lenses wherever I go.

Oh, what the %#%^! Just buy the FZ30! You won't get disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hello there - as you can see from the results pages of our FZ30 review, the noise levels of a DSLR will be lower than an all-in-one camera thanks to their physically larger sensors. This only really becomes noticeable at higher sensitivities though.

But if low noise in low light is important to you, then a DSLR will be a better choice than an all-in-one. But as the last poster said, you wont find the convenience of such a long zoom range in a single, affordable package with a DSLR. Pros and cons youll have to weigh up im afraid!

Either way, the FZ30 is a great all-in-one camera, but if you decide a budget DSLR makes mroe sense, then the Nikon D50 and Canon 350D are also great choices.

Gordon