Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:01 am 

Dear all
This is a wonderful website with tons of good reviews which helped me a lot in my purchasing decision.
I wanted to make some simple video recordings with good quality audio sound and have purchased the Zoom H4N with Sescom cable (with headphone inputs) and would like to know which camera makes a good combo with the Zoom H4N.

As I am a total amateur in this area, appreciate if anyone could advise me on the following:
1) Lenses with wide aperture would achieve better video recording in low light. Would I need the latest lenses made for video recording, eg the Powerzoon series? Would using current lens system still have focus tracking capability for moving subjects?

2) Direct audio recording into camera: I have been advised that separate post audio processing gives the best sound quality. Which software would be the easist to use ie just to replace audio segment?

Due to lack of time, I would hope to record audio from Zoom H4N directly into camera, in uncompressed MOV mode so as to have the best audio quality possible. Given the choice of G6 and GH3, would the audio recording be somewhat similar if I am just using it to do basic video/audio recording without post editing?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:39 am 

Quote:
1) Lenses with wide aperture would achieve better video recording in low light. Would I need the latest lenses made for video recording, eg the Powerzoon series? Would using current lens system still have focus tracking capability for moving subjects?

Short answer: depends on the specific lens.

Long answer:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/d ... ct/g6.html

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/d ... t/gh3.html

Also note that, the lower the light level, the slower and more unreliable Contrast Detect auto-focus is.

Quote:
2) Direct audio recording into camera: I have been advised that separate post audio processing gives the best sound quality. Which software would be the easist to use ie just to replace audio segment?

A lot of folks, myself included, like PluralEyes.

Quote:
I would hope to record audio from Zoom H4N directly into camera, in uncompressed MOV mode so as to have the best audio quality possible.

Kind of a waste, IMO, since you'll still have to deal with AGC (Automatic Gain Control).

Quote:
Given the choice of G6 and GH3, would the audio recording be somewhat similar if I am just using it to do basic video/audio recording without post editing?

Probably, yes.

Having said all of that, some unasked for advice: return/sell the H4n and buy an H6 (or TASCAM or Olympus audio recorder). (I personally use a TASCAM DR100 mark II and H6; upgraded from the H4n because of its relatively high noise floor.)

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 am 

Thanks, the chart has been most useful!
It was a haste decision on my part to get the H4 without checking out the H6, guess got to live with it for the time being.
I think I will settle for the separate audio processing route and take your advice on Pluraleyes. It is a plug in for Final Cut Pro X? Are there any bundle packages there for both softwares? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 am 

Quote:
It is a plug in for Final Cut Pro X?

It used to be, but...

http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/pl ... lity/#tabs

"Host Applications

PluralEyes 3 is a standalone application, not a plug-in, so its results work with every video editor."

Quote:
Are there any bundle packages there for both softwares?

Not that I know of, sorry.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 am 

Thanks seem like post processing is the way to go. By the way, any good recommendation for wired Lavalier mics to attach to the Zoom H4N? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:23 am 

I'm partial to Rode, but the price of the Audio Technica 3350 is hard to beat. It also has a long (6m) cord. And a bit of Googling shows it should work with the H4n:

http://www.filmtutorials.com/how-to-use ... interview/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0pnDjyVRCs

Although, I'm guessing you might need a 3.5mm mini jack to XLR adapter?

Or there are a bunch more suggestions here.

Having said that, you might be better off with a Zoom H1 (in the talent's pocket) since, generally speaking, the larger recorders tend to be more useful with a mixer.

Mark