Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:56 pm 

I have had 3 Panasonics TZs. The first was a TZ5, then a TZ10 and now aTZ20. The TZ5 took lovely photos and especially with flash and low light. The flash ones were warm with a yellowish hue and the depth of field that was amazing - around 9 meters. (I have photos I can upload to show you) Even in low light, the photos came out as you saw them, warm and with a yellowish light, like in candle light. The TZ 10 ,however, doesn't have the same depth of field on the flash and in low light the photos are not a warm as the TZ5. The TZ 20 was really disappointing in this field . The depth of field on flash is minimal and all the photos in low light come out really cold and white, nothing like what you see. I even tried to use one of the pre-sets, candle light, but the photos come out in reduced size. When you switch on in the TZ20 to take an indoor photo you see the camera staring up and a lovely frame of the scene in its true light comes into view, but then it goes on to show a cold, white photo. Is this due to a white balance setting as I have it on automatic and have never changed the factory settings in any of the cameras. My question is this!!!! Will the TZ25 give me better results in these two fields, flash and low light???? Better than the TZ30, as the TZ25 has a different sensor to the TZ30, it is from the FZ105 and not such a high megapixel rating??? Also on the new cameras, TZ25 and TZ30, the video has been changed to MPEG4. Does it still have VGA format and HD as I know you get 1080i in the AVCHD format, but then this does not work on making sideshows with Memories on TV!!! Is it worth the change to a TZ25 to recuperate the good flash and low light photos??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 am 

Since no one else has replied yet, I'll give it a shot:

First, yes, adjusting (lowering) White Balance will give the image a "warmer" yellowish tint. So you might try that on your current camera before spending money on something else.

Second, I'm assuming that, by "depth of field on flash", you mean the length/depth of the area that's illuminated, not the typical meaning of the length/depth of the area that's in focus. If that's the case, what you're really looking to accomplish is to use more ambient/natural light, and the most common way to do that is to use a slower shutter speed. So you might try this, as well, with your current camera (by shooting in Shutter Priority mode) before spending money on something else.

Third, you seem to be confusing resolution (VGA/1080i) with video file format (MPEG4/AVCHD), but to answer your question, yes, both the TZ25 and TZ30 can shoot VGA resolution (640x480) video (in MPEG4 format). (And as an aside, I'm not sure why someone would want to make a slide show with a bunch of videos (as opposed to a bunch of still photos).)

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:20 am 

I have a TZ20 touch screen and it is a bind but there is no way of disconnecting the touch screen. You have to learn to live with it. A pain. Hence i am looking at the TZ25 which is the same but without a touch screen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm 

thanks for the reply.
1. Yes I did meant what was in focus and could be seen being illuminated by the flash. The purchase of the TZ25 does exactly this when set on 'Ai' and I now get great flash shots with having to change anything. (As well as a whole host of other feature If I wish to use them for flash)
2. You wondered why I mix movies with slides. The camera is very compact, takes great movies on all settings, and at times a movie gives a better perspective of what you're trying to photograph, or maybe you want to record more the sound than the photo. The AVC HD is not compatible with the programme Memoires on TV, therefore I was in doubt about the JPEG4, but it works perfectly.