Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon May 04, 2015 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Telephoto choice
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:19 pm 

I have recently acquired a Lumix 3G and am looking to add a telephoto zoom lens. Does anyone have any recomendations as to which will give the better IQ. The choice seems to be from 14-140, 45-150 45-175 and 45-200 I'm not really worried about its reach as long as it covers 100mm

Are the "X" lens including the 45-100 worth the extra? Are there more than one version of these lens and does the IQ vary with the different versions?

Thanks in advance

David

Post subject: Re: Telephoto choice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:38 am 

It's generally more about features than IQ, especially with an older body like the G3. (I'm assuming "3G" was a typo.)

Since the 14-140mm has the longest range, it's generally a better "walk around" lens. It's also well suited to video, if that matters to you. (Full disclosure: I own two of the original version/model.)

The 45-200mm is the largest and heaviest of the other three, but it's the only one that has an OIS switch and the only one that goes to 200mm, so if that's what you need...

The main difference between the remaining 45-150mm and 45-175mm (which is an "X" lens, BTW), is that the 45-175mm is a "power zoom" (motorized via a switch, as opposed to mechanical "by hand") and zooms internally.

Quote:
Are the "X" lens including the 45-100 worth the extra

If you mean the 35-100mm, it depends on whether or not you need constant f2.8 aperture. (Full disclosure: I also own a copy of this lens.)

Mark

P.S. if you don't need shorter than 100mm, Panasonic also has a 100-300mm.

P.P.S. You can also use Olympus micro 4/3 lenses on a G3 (or any other Panasonic m4/3 body) but most Oly lenses lack Optical (in lens) Image Stabilization (OIS) because Olympus cameras have In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) which is obviously built into the camera body, not the lens.