Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:20 pm 

Did some searching and found these lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-myvORcLmw

At just over £100 ($170) the Aputure Amaran LED looks like a great light. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 am 

Quote:
First of all I should say thank you as I've learnt a lot from your posts in this thread and have passed on information to others, especially those helping me out.

You're welcome! Glad to know you've found the info helpful (and why this thread has gotten so many views recently).

Quote:
What do you mean by this by the way: "...You could just set your exposure range to capture from 20-80." - you mean setting aperture and ISO?

First let me reemphasize that the numbers (20-80) are on a made up scale (that goes from zero at pitch black to 100 at full sun). But yes, the point was that if you had a camera that could capture a given range (20-80) (via only "in camera" adjustments like ISO and aperture -- but remember that aperture also affects DoF, so you may not want to adjust exposure using aperture), then you wouldn't need external adjustments (like lights or ND filters). Whereas, with a camera that could only capture a narrower range (30-60 or whatever), you would need some type of external adjustment.

Quote:
Does the G6 have good dynamic range?

I would say the G6 has decent dynamic range for a camera at its price point. There are other cameras that have better dynamic range (Canon 5D III, Black Magic Cinema camera, etc.) but they cost more.

Quote:
Your point about a traditional video camera being the easy option does keep ringing in my head!

I appreciate your sincerity. Hopefully other/future readers will take note.

Quote:
The links you sent were from the US, is there a chance you can suggest something available in the UK?

Sorry, other than the old blog post on the Z96s I mentioned up thread, I have no idea what's available in the UK. As for the links you provided:

Quote:
Just saw something like this, cheap and good user reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/540w-Studio-Fla ... ghting+kit

Am I missing something here?

The umbrellas indicate it may be for photography? Or is lighting same for both? I noted the ones you linked were LEDs, is that the way to go?

Yes, it's primarily for photography. i.e. flash as opposed to constant. Although it does come with continuous bulbs, they probably aren't that bright, as they're not meant to properly expose a subject, just to help you aim the light.

And LEDs are usually more portable (smaller, lighter), draw less power, and put out less heat.

Quote:
Did some searching and found these lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-myvORcLmw

At just over £100 ($170) the Aputure Amaran LED looks like a great light. What do you think?

I've heard they have a flickering issue, but have no experience with them myself. And I would add that they aren't much cheaper than the aforementioned Z96s, assuming you can, in fact, get Z96s in the UK.

Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6