Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:38 pm 

I have both the FZ150 and the FZ200. The FZ150 was a very good camera, the FZ200 is better in several areas. The recently posted FZ200 review is very fair to the FZ200 and I recommend reading through the Verdict section as it tells the story well.

However, I will add that the camera can be improved by fiddling with the settings. There has been a lot of testing and posting on the FZ200 over on the DPReview forum over the optimum settings for shooting JPEGs. My personal conclusion is that leaving the image type at "standard" and leaving the sharpening, contrast and noise reduction at their center positions (the factory default) is best; but then turning on iResolution to gain a little additional sharpness, detail, and some smoothing in solid color areas, like sky. :D I'd also recommend setting the upper limit for Auto ISO at 800. ISO 1600 is usable; but not quite as good as 800 and with the constant f/2.8 lens, you'll seldom need to go higher than 800.

The new EVF is amazing. :D Also, the control layout and options are much improved over the FZ150, and the grip is a little fuller and a little taller, and feels better in the hand. This is a camera you can quickly fall in love with. :wink:

One important comment. On some cameras, the detents that hold the hood in place are VERY stiff. :shock: If yours is one of the very stiff ones, be very careful not to mount or dismount the hood with the lens extended as you can damage the lens. :cry: I filed down the locking lugs on mine to reduce the force needed. The FZ200, like the FZ150 is one of the few superzooms that can use both filters and the hood simultaneously. 8)

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I recently published our in-depth Panasonic FZ200 review!

Cheers, Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:57 am 

Thanks for the in-depth review. Just waited for this review to make up my mind which camera to buy. Based on all the reputable Reviews, there is no doubt that the Panasonic Lumix FZ 200 is the best super zoom or bridge camera! Chasing zoom range alone reminds one of the mega pixel `race' amongst manufacturers not so long ago!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm 

I read the review and want to compare the FZ200 to the ZS30 which you've also recently reviewed. One of the negatives listed on the ZS30 summary is "Can't disable IS for video - not ideal for tripod filming". Can it be disabled on the FZ200 in movie mode? I shoot a lot of video of my daughter's high school basketball games using a tripod and panning back and forth to cover the action with a fixed zoom, probably 5x to 10x depending on my location. I don't want to have the camera "fighting" the panning action with its IS.

I am also a little confused since in the body of the ZS30 review you did describe your test of handheld panning to compare it to the ZS20 and seemed to indicate that it did a better job. Better but still inadequate on a tripod?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on comparing the FZ200 and the ZS20.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 am 

Hi dswansonil, I have the same question:
Could anyone owning both the fz200 and tz40/zs30 tell us whether the fz200 image quality is really worth the extra $$ and bulk? Sample low-light long-zoom pics/video appreciated...
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 am 

Loved the FZ200 review but suspect a mistake re "Handling" - "The first runs to six pages and the last eight, and with linear navigation (i.e. you need to scroll down through each page to get to the next) if what you want is page seven it can get a bit tedious."
On the FZ150 to scroll across pages in the various menus you push or pull the zoom lever and I suspect the FZ200 is the same.