Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm 

Was at a outside wedding over the weekend and took lots of photos. Just left the camera in full auto mode. When I got home and looked at the pix they were all very dark.

I have noticed this happening before, it seems when ever tiyr out in direct sunlight ( not shooting into the sunlight ;-) the pix always come out dark.

In the future what setting should I use? Also sould of the camera automaticly adjusted for the sunlight when it was in the auto setting??

TIA,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 pm 

In general Automatic does a better job than most untrained people would do in full manual or the semi-manual modes (Aperture Priority, Shutter priority, Program), however if you would like to improve the quality of your photos, it would be good to take the time to adventure outside the Automatic mode (preferably in your downtime when you don't have a picture you "need" to take).

There is sometimes an exposure compensation you can apply, and each camera has its own particularities, but I think you can sometimes apply it in Auto mode also. This tells the camera to make the picture darker or brighter. If you look in your manual you might find something about it, sometimes shows up as an Ev icon.

When you're shooting towards the sun, the sun sends out so much light that your light meter goes into panic mode and makes everything dark for you. Depending on your camera model, you might need to give it a +2 all the way to +4 compensation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:37 am 

Not sure what settings you can change on your camera but a couple of tricks you might be able to use are;
1 Move the exposure meter point (it is usually in the centre of the shot but some cameras allow this to be changed
2 Take an exposure reading from somewhere darker than the sky (e.g. the ground) and lock the exposure, then take your shot

The above both depend on the camera allowing you to do this.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:06 am 
This is the same issue I too am facing.. And moving the exposure meter point doesn't makes any difference..